KON-TIKI CRAWLER aka: 24" Tornado project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had previously posted this in the gallery to share a great old bike and get some help with identification -- Thanks to Ratina, Dumpster_Diver, Markm, and CCR I've been pointed in a better direction.

ry%3D400

After working on the image in Photoshop today, I found myself in -- what may be -- the design stage of a build:
ry%3D480

Hopefully, I will stick with this. I really dig the mock-up so I probably won't change my mind too much before getting started!

Re: 24" Tornado project

In anticipation of the bike show at Daddy Katz all week, I've found some needed inspiration and focus. I have scrapped the original design. I'm aiming for something simple yet more sophisticated.

It's still too cold for stripping and painting but I've made a bit of slow progress:

ry%3D400

Working template number 5
ry%3D400

playing around with some bar wrap options
ry%3D400

handle grips!!! (I can't believe no one's tried this yet!)
ry%3D400

HEADBADGE!
ry%3D400

Considering mounting one of these to the bike

Nice design you got going on! Keep posting progress pictures.

I saw you took off that Messinger banana seat and sissy bar. If you decide you want to see it let me know or shoot me a PM.

Thanks, Joe

I cut the tank today. It's a bit rough -- it'll take a lot of sanding and planing to make it fit.
ry%3D400

I tried a few different designs for this and decided the "cantilever" sweep looks pretty cool on a straight bar frame.

Here's a later mock-up. The color scheme here is closer to what I'm going with. Note the Fiji War Club tank :D
ry%3D400

Thanks Ratina!

Here's the latest:
Hmm... what's cookin'?
ry%3D400

Ah! Smells like Grips!
ry%3D400

Boiling these for a bit expands the bamboo and makes it pliable. While still hot, just whack'm into place with a mallet. As they cool, they contract and stiffen back up making for a snug fit.

Those grips look really good. Makes me want to start a new build just to use a similar idea.

The grip idea worked out well and they seem as tight as they need to be. Removing them, down the line, may not be such easy work though :?

Yesterday was a lot like Christmas. I walked out the door and found these pink beauties. Thanks Joe!
ry%3D400

The fenders seem to fit reasonably well -- I see some minor modifications in their future.
ry%3D400

I'm kind of digging this look as is.

Thanks guys!

I've changed my mind about color again. I think I've got it right this time. I just have see where the next step takes me.

I got a cool treatment planned for these fenders -- If it works, it'll be too much!

Well, lot's of time has passed. I've got several projects cooking at once. At this time, it seems like a better idea to Tiki-fy the 62 Typhoon for now.

This is something I would have done inevitably anyway. The drive for the Typhoon project has been "stripped-down" and "keep it simple" -- so I hope to move right along and have something ready for a local Surf/Tiki festival happening in August.

Here's what I have so far:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Latest posts

Back