komet super coaster brake not braking very good

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time using a komet super coaster brake, I have always used Bendix before and never had a problem with braking. Here is what I did, I cleaned all the parts up and then greased everything good with high temperature wheel grease including brake shoes. It does come to a stop but not very quickly and I can't get it to skid. I researched old posts and found one having similar problems to mine. Some of the members said they greased everything with good results. The only thing I did not do that was mentioned in the old posts is take very fine steel wool and clean the inside of the hub, I just cleaned with oil and paper towels. If greasing the brake shoes is not the problem then I need to clean it with steel wool. Parts look good

The hub shell brake surface may have a glaze built up on it that the fine steel wool will take off. You could add some light oil in there also.

I remember the Komet hubs not having as good braking as Bendix, but they would still lock up for a good fishtail.

thanks for the reply I wanted to hear that they will lock up if operating correctly. I was also having problems with the brake arm moving on me when braking so I wrapped electrical tape around the frame tube so the brake arm is up against the electrical tape and that stopped the brake arm moving. Is there any way that this could cause my braking issues, I highly doubt it. This hub had very old gummy grease and or oil so I would say that I need to clean out the inside of the hub. I did notice something on the inside of the hub that I did not get cleaned off but I did not think it would be an issue.

I had one with weak brakes, but I found another brake shoe and that cured it. I read someone on here uses a brake cylinder hone on the hub... I am going to try that next time.

You are using a clamp on the brake arm? Tightened down, there shouldn't be any movement.

There is no movement at the brake arm now that I have fixed that problem at the start. I never have had problems with a Bendix brake arm moving, just put a clamp on it and go. I have taken it back apart and cleaned out the hub used fine steel wool to clean out any residue and used another brake shoe that looked better. It braked better but still no where near the bendix. I got it to skid a little, I wonder if the more I ride it, the more I use the brake the better It might become? There is still grease coming out of it. Thanks for all your input.

There's a trick I use with the 3 speed hubs w coaster. They always need a little more braking power, so when I brake, I slip my other foot under the pedal on the opposite side and pull up at the same time to get more braking action.

I think I will start a new post in the appropriate section, about what is the best coaster brake?

Back