Knocking out dents from sheetmetal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had good luck using the flat table portion of my biggest vise a 9" piece of wooden broomstick handle[make sure the end cut is flat and square] and a rubber mallet to knock out the small dents and dings on the rack and tank of my Evans.I'm really happy with the results and now the most it will probably need is some very light file work and then filler putty to make it nicey nice:D!! hope this helps somebody!! :113:

Have you used a teardrop hammer? They're super. Non-marring plastic too.
No never did,what do they look like and do you think Harbor Freight would carry one.This repair was pretty straight forward and I did it on the fly and luckily worked very well without damaging the sheetmetal.The wood doesn't leave any "pockets" or marring like a metal punch and with someone holding the piece you have complete control.The rubber hammer has a wide strike area and less misses when your concentrating on a small area.Works for me anyways:thumbsup:and thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, it ends up being the same idea as a rounded wood handle. Just takes a little less maneuvering and coordination. Harbor freight has them http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-teardrop-mallet-66205.html

Works great for fenders, since they've generally got a radius (your Evans may be the only exception if it has the square fenders). I use it on effectively on flat parts as well. I just put the object on a folded up towel and that's close enough to a shot bag to help tap a dent out without taking it too far.

I'm gonna pick one of those hammers up but am gonna keep that ol broomstick handle too because I can carve it down smaller for hard to reach areas.thanks again!:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back