Klunker Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I still have a month off until I have to go back to school and today was a slow day so I ended up in my basement all afternoon putting this thing together. It all started when I decided I was going to take my brother's old mountain bike apart and use all the parts from it on this frame. Turns out the wheels were bent pretty bad and the fork was to short for the frame. I started to look for a new fork online, but that was getting away from the idea of throwing a bike together in one day. So I just installed the original fork, and greased everything up and called it a day.

Here is what I started with, a $60 CL find.

Here was the initial dream

And here is basically what I ended up with tonight.

I ran to Wal-mart earlier tonight and picked up some grips, new pedals, and a chain that was to short. That plan is to paint it a kind of olive green, and put the tank back on which will either be bare metal or painted silver. I also am still looking for a new fork so I can install a front brake, a different seat, and i'm on the look out for some rat trapper pedals.

Put the tank and fenders back on!
Rat rods usually are a new driveline in a beat down rod.....
You got the driveline!

tank is going back on for sure, judging by the rear fender brace this bike is really supposed to have peaked fenders on it and the ones that came with the bike just don't look right on it. I may try to make some custom shorty fenders out of them though.

Big change from origenal look.. I like what your doing to it.. I would do without the tanks and fenders myself but either way it would it's going to look good..

Nice looking Huffman frameset, I think Bell shortened the chains available to Walmart now, I noticed that the last time I picked one up from there, used to, one was enough for a 26" bike, but now I have to pick up 2 to make it work on a cruiser.

I had the same experience with the walmart chains, at least they are inexpensive and next time i'll only need to buy one chain.

Back