King San build (my first build)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some research and coming up with next to nothing on this bike I am going to use it as a custom builder. I purchased this at a swap meet in Portland, Oregon a week ago and liked the style of it. It is pretty rough but I think I can do something with it. The Frame says it's a King San A made by AAA Co. in Japan.
KingSanA2.jpg

KingSanA4.jpg

KingSanA3.jpg

KingSanA.jpg

After soaking it in PB rust buster for a week It started to come apart but not like I wanted it to. The handle bar neck was badly rusted and snapped at the first attempt at separating the stem from the forks. This will take some extra time to get the broken part out of the fork but it is worth a shot. The crank arm broke and was cut the rest of the way off to get it out of the frame. I may be able to save and use the sprocket. The fenders are pretty messed up but I am going to try and straighten them out.
KingSanA6.jpg

KingSanA7.jpg

Today I purchased a Mongoose BMX bike for $5.00 to use for parts and mock up parts. I plan on swapping out the crank housing with a standard sized one, so I can use a common crank. If I can't use the fork with that frame, than I will need to cut and weld on a standard neck as well. The frame was a 22" setup but I am going to use a 20" or possibly a 24" inch wheel set on it. This is the mock up thus far. I am not sure what way I am going with it yet but I like the look so far.
KingSanA8.jpg

KingSanA10.jpg

KingSanA9.jpg

Also with the fenders kinda mocked up.
KingSanA11.jpg

deven_science said:
I like some of the small details on it. The fender piece, head badge, and do forth.
That is what caught my eye with this bike. I plan on using all this stuff when I get it back together...

feels like you could wrap the rear fender more on the tire. Maybe another 6 inches? Use some of the front one, looks a little long anyway.
Something like this.
KingSanA9.jpg

heyslugger said:
Did you get it at the PIR swap?
Yes, I picked it up on the Thursday when PIR opened up for the swap meet. The guy had it priced for $6.00. He said the person he got it from was getting ready to take it to the scrap yard. He figured it was worth trying to save.

g-ratter said:
feels like you could wrap the rear fender more on the tire. Maybe another 6 inches? Use some of the front one, looks a little long anyway.
Something like this.
KingSanA9.jpg
I'm diggin the wrapped look. I may have to do something with that. Thank you for the idea. :)

I woulda paid 6 Bucks for that little 'Hood" ornament alone. I drove out on sunday thinking I'd look for some deals but I didn't plan ahead and when we went through the gate and saw the line of cars we U-turned out of line and went to a few garage sales instead. Next year I am taking my bike on the MAX train all of 4 stops from my house and riding in to the meet!

I got there just after 12 and there were no lines. I parked in the field and walked in. I had originally went to look for a classic Cadillac but this bike called out to me. I felt it deserved one last shot at being road worthy again. Plus it was only $6.00. :lol: There were tons of bikes for sale but some of them were priced way high and not worth the price. I did snag up a 1975 Schwinn Bantam for $25.00. I'll have a build on it later.

Back