Kickstand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
karfer67 said:
did anyone check out the "other bikes we like section"?

Is that a shameless plug for some guy named Karfer??

I think I may have noticed that bike as a little familiar.

Nice job man!

Can I get an autograph now, you're famous! 8)

B607...Everyday Critic
I finally got my issue yesterday. Takes a bit longer to send things out here to fly-over country. I expected to see a magazine full of old cruiser bikes that were restored or originals just fixed up to ride. I'm mildly disappointed. The title of this mag should read: Kickstand...Celebrating the Modern Cruiser Culture. Instead of Phantoms and Elgin Blackhawks what I found was a mag full of Nirve and Electra bikes and ads. There were way more pics of old cruiser bikes in the advertisements than in the articles. Perhaps the editors thought the "cruiser culture" was invented in 1992 instead of 1933 when it really began. I see where this mag is going...a mouthpiece for modern bike and aftermarket parts makers. On the other hand, it would be tough to get ad money from Elgin, Bendix, New Departure and Schwinn as they are long gone out of business, while business is way better when Nirve and Electra are paying the bills. I can't say I got ripped off on my subscription...$2 and change is more than fair for this mag, though I doubt I'll resubscribe. I'll wait for the mag that comes out called "Dropstand... Celebrating the Original Cruiser Culture". Gary...hardcore old school

Gary you are right.......But I for one WILL re-subscribe. Companies like Nirve, Raleigh and Electra and all the Chinese manufacturers that make "cruisers" help promote our style of bikes. Not everybody has the time, or the talent, to build a custom bike. I've watched dozens of videos of club rides, or events, world wide and the majority of bikes were from the above makers. Although I haven't participated in a major ride, I think it would be great to ride with a hundred or so people. EVEN if the vast majority were riding "store bought" cruisers..........In the bike world, WE are just a drop in the bucket. People that buy cruisers are actually paying tribute to US. I'm not going to judge this mag, just on its first issue (although I did enjoy it). I'm looking forward to see what it evolves into. I feel like a (BIG) 12 year old kid when I ride, it's great to see (bought or made) I'm not alone.

KOTA said:
Gary you are right.......But I for one WILL re-subscribe. Companies like Nirve, Raleigh and Electra and all the Chinese manufacturers that make "cruisers" help promote our style of bikes. Not everybody has the time, or the talent, to build a custom bike. I've watched dozens of videos of club rides, or events, world wide and the majority of bikes were from the above makers. Although I haven't participated in a major ride, I think it would be great to ride with a hundred or so people. EVEN if the vast majority were riding "store bought" cruisers..........In the bike world, WE are just a drop in the bucket. People that buy cruisers are actually paying tribute to US. I'm not going to judge this mag, just on its first issue (although I did enjoy it). I'm looking forward to see what it evolves into. I feel like a (BIG) 12 year old kid when I ride, it's great to see (bought or made) I'm not alone.
Well said Kota.
Gary, like you I was expecting a little more custom and older stuff. I bet it will come.
After thinking about trips I've made to the beach and college towns where bikes are prevalent it seems the newer cruisers like these are the in the majority so maybe that is the bulk of the cruiser culture.

i have talked to them about having more articals about vintage stuff as well. i agree although i did enjoy the mag (and it is their first issue so give them some credit) i too would have liked to have seen more stuff on vintage or custom stuff too. but then again the companies are the ones who pay the bills and our bikes are eye candy. heck when they featured mine i told them what it is and what it has done and that it was DONE and they pretty much excluded all of that but i know how editing goes so that is cool. i was just honored to be chosen thats all a builder can ask for. i say give em time they will turn around.

Back