Kickstand pin?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have one, I will look tonight.

I replied in the wanted ads. To get by for now, just cut the head off a nail. It works fine in an emergency and you will be able to give your daughter her present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just seem to mess up the paint when I install/remove. So I only want to do it once. I'll wait till I get the one you're sending. She can wait a bit. I've got plenty of polishing to keep me busy.

Queasy hooked me up. First pin was lost in the mail (It got ripped out of the envelope, but I got the envelope) Second pin arrived today. I missed her birthday, but c'est la vie.

I installed the pin, and it seems to sit crooked. I tried smacking it in straighter, but this is as good as it's sitting. Is this going to last, or am I setting it up for future failure?

xQwONy.jpg

Queasy hooked me up. First pin was lost in the mail (It got ripped out of the envelope, but I got the envelope) Second pin arrived today. I missed her birthday, but c'est la vie.

I installed the pin, and it seems to sit crooked. I tried smacking it in straighter, but this is as good as it's sitting. Is this going to last, or am I setting it up for future failure?

xQwONy.jpg
Crash, it is installed upside down. Turn it over. You may have to file a small flat spot on that edge to get it to slip in the grove. The easy way to install and remove is in the video link below. Also, in the video he has the pin installed just like you do in your picture. Every Schwinn I have taken the pin out of they were installed with the head of the pin down. I also take a piece of coat hanger wire and make a ring to go around the kickstand to keep the adjustable wrench from making contact with the frame and chipping the paint.

Last edited:
That's one of the videos I watched, and the pin is upside down. The problem I had was that I couldn't get the ring in far enough. The solution was finding a ball bearing cage small enough to push the ring, but fit over the kick stand. I used a wood clamp, pushed it in farther than I could without the cage, and the pin dropped in as it should have.

I'm a genius. :cool2:

The kickstand strikes again. I had it in the "down" position for installation and for a while. Today I put it "up"... and it didn't go all the way up. I checked my Monster Ray (which is a 26" Collegiate) and that stand is almost flush with the chain stay. As you can see, this isn't. I tried turning the stop inside, but the way I have it installed is the only way it fits in there. Am I doing something wrong with this? Or do they just hang down this low on Fair Ladys?

gsFtRd.jpg

SsQqve.jpg

zkHG8M.jpg

I should have checked the original pictures before asking. Looking at these two pics from the day I pulled it out of the barn, the stand looks to be in the same spot it was originally. But man, it sure does seem low.

j6tt.jpg

dxr9.jpg

As long as it's not dropping when you hit a bump and clears the crank it should be fine. Compared to my Stingray it looks to be about the same position.
DSCN1090.jpg

That swing is defined by the shape of that 3-sided piece that goes into the frame first. There are different versions of that for different bikes. If you want to change the position of the kickstand in the "open" or "closed" position, you need to change that piece. Be sure to match up the "open" position though, so the bike will still stand up properly.

If I remember correctly, there are hash marks on the edge of that piece where you can see it through the triangular hole in the frame mount. (behind the sprocket) Those marks should tell you which version you have, such as "I" "II" or "III". I never sat down and figured out what the difference is between them, so it might be a bit of research to figure it out.

Interesting. I never knew that. But Schwinn said this was the correct one for this bike because that's what came on it. So, I'll stick with it. Plus, if I have to go through the fiasco I went through last night with trying to get that kick stand back on, I may throw the frame off a cliff.

That piece is the sprag and yeah that Picker/Peeler/Krate kickstand hangs at an odd angle compered to a Fastback or short frame Schwinn. I don't think the sprags are interchangable. I know the wrong one I put in my kid's bike didn't work. The pin that goes through the kickstand was in a different spot that only works with the right sprag.

I think I've put all my kickstand pins in upside down. Great tip roadwarrior.

The Stingray kickstand is a real bear to get in too compered to other ones. At least without the special kickstand tool.

Last edited:
Glad I'm already past my kickstand phase. I recognized right away that the kickstand retainer pin was in upside down. Since I only have a Schwinn type kickstand remover, I ended up having to use a lock washer in order to make the kickstand go in far enough for the retainer pin to go in without a fight. The Park Tool for removing kickstands is the best tool for the job, but that's like a specialty item that's pretty expensive, and Park tools doesn't make them anymore. I had to find certain kickstands from other bikes for my custom chopper Stingrays. They needed to be longer because of the longer forks I put on those bikes. Yeah, kickstands can be a pain. Don't worry about the kickstand sitting a little further down like that, many kickstands sit that low.

Back