Keepin it real(istic)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie observation but I had to get some answers to this nagging question.
I am 6' tall, my daughters are nearly 6' my wife is 5'10". When we ride, we ride- meaning our seats are jacked way high on our vintage bikes just so we can be comfortable and somewhat efficient.

Most of the pics I see have the seat at a height that I would find impossible to ride more than a block. I know our bikes look cooler with the seat in a position that would be suitable for a jockey but... dang! Do you all actually ride 'em that way? If you do then I figure you're around 4'11" or you have thighs the size of 55 gallon drums.

Could an actual ride height pic cost votes in a build off? hhmmmmmmm
I'd love to see some pics of bikes 'as ridden' rather than 'as posed'.

And I will have a custom bent seatpost as part of my next build... but it will still be up there.

I think you will find that many of the folks here lower their seats for photos...well, except for deorman. :lol:

Lower it for photos....raise it for riding. :wink:

Actually mine is low cause I'm short......lol.
My rat
P8010070.jpg

My rat in training
P8020085.jpg

Ok. I'm 6'4" tall and go around 225 and I understand your concern about seat height! Through the years I have totally trained myself to ride sitting way down in the bucket and now the first thing I do with every bike is lower the seat as low as it goes! This is a pic of my daily rider and the seat never leaves this position. The reason I trained myself was because I really don't any other look, I'd rather stand if I gotta!
544f91c2.jpg

At 6' and 225 lbs this is where a 20's Elgin frame/seat position works best and these are 700c wheels.

26Elgin1.jpg

Of course i can Crooz on this too!

TjetFinal1.jpg

I ride with mine slammed all the way down.I'm around 5'10" 5'11".

29181_1211407664140_1797227344_4022.jpg

30486_1234301596474_1797227344_4524.jpg

Re: Keeping it realistic)

Im 6' 2" 180lbs
I used some Sch. 80 pipe and bent it and used it as a seat post. by moving the seat back it allows my legs to straighten out more, I commute on this 14 miles a day.

Edit: I spell like my 2 year old

Re: Keeping it realistic)

pepper said:
Im 6' 2" 180lbs
I used some Sch. 80 pipe and bent it and used it as a seat post. by moving the seat back it blows my legs to straighten out more, I commute on this 14 miles a day.

Bet you save a boatload on gas.

Graylock said:
I like my saddle up high and I don't like the pedals scraping the ground either

TheShadow-48.jpg

GL

Greylock you never cease to amaze me with what you'll find, that thing is awesome. Love the cargo hold there.

Rat Rod said:
I think you will find that many of the folks here lower their seats for photos...well, except for deorman. :lol:

Lower it for photos....raise it for riding. :wink:
Having spent a good part of my young adulthood with no transportation except a bicycle (thanks, Seagrams :p ), including some fairly long routes, the utility of leg extension was (and still is, thanks aging :lol: ) more important to me than style considerations. Over the years, I've grown thoroughly accustomed to my bikes looking that way. Besides, as evidenced by various cargo, klunker, and road type bikes on here, utility has its own kind of coolness. :wink: :)

I'm 6' and ride different ways depending on the bike. I do tend to ride everything at speed though. On open road/path then I tend to cruise at 15-20 on the mountain bike and 10-15 on the cruiser.

On my mountain bike I like a really short frame and extend the seat post and the stem to stretch out.
giant.jpg

I've only taken my Snyder on rides up to about 5-10 miles so far since I just finished building it. The bike is setup how I ride it. I've since shortened the seat post about an inch, flipping the bracket (making the height change a wash) and moving it back about 3 inches.
IMG_8406.JPG

I have also taken my Murray on a 20 mile ride but usually only about 5-10 miles.
IMG_0334.jpg

Wildcat, here is an official vote for your upright seating and your bikes! :D Lookin' good!

M.Martian, that Snyder is the look I like, very very nice! I bet it rides like a dream.

I'm right there with you man, I'm under 6ft but I got long legs... I have to have that seat up to protect the knees.

I can ride my Stingrays though, seat and sissy all the way up, and sitting back on the banana seats. Most of the regular diamond frame and cruiser type bikes I am in the middle of the adjustment, but definitely can't ride them slammed down. My knees just won't do it.

The choppers and custom frame rides Ive been on seem to work pretty well with low seats, but only with a lot of stretch to the frame. Pedals out front = more leg room for extension. I guess that means I could be happy on a recumbent too...

Fact is, if you need to be able to ride efficiently or at all quickly, you have to be able to just about straighten your legs. Knees are strong near straight, and not strong when bent. Just was discussing this with a (shorter) guy at work on his new BMX bike- they all are made to have the seat down low and the frames are very low-profile, i.e. short seat tubes. The top of the pedal arc is less than 6 in from the seat- obviously you ride the thing standing on the pedals all the time.

Bikes do look cooler with the seat dropped, but there's nothing good about hurting your knees, so in the real world, set your bike up so it fits you when you take it out for a ride.

--Rob

i like building bikes with slamed seats. I'm 5'10" myself.
i build all my bikes for me to ride. (a guy 5'10")
what i loose in height i make up in length.
(moving the seat further from the crank via laid back seat post ,frame stretch etc)

done_0066-1.jpg

Done_0010.jpg

elvira2.jpg

i've spent hours on most of my bikes (even did a 20k ride on the black lowrider)
if its not comfortable or ya have to move your seat for photo purposes,
then ya probably didn't put near enough effort into the planning stage of the build. :)

laid back seat posts are worth there weight in gold. :)

Back