Kansas Fried Cruiser... more stuff 7/09/09

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally decided on a name, The Lawrenceburg Flyer, named for the fact that the bike is a Murray which was built in Lawrenceburg, Tenessee, and the fact that I want this bike to have a "racer" look.
**EDIT 2/17** Scratch that... I decided to rename it due to the fact that as I get farther along on this build, the name really dont fit, check out the latest pics and you'll see what I mean.

Plans for the bike, include switching out the forks with a pair from a 16" Schwinn Stingray chopper, plus some other real subtle mods like raking the neck ever so slightly, maybe a chainguard mod to give it a different look. Ill also end up powdercoating the frame, forks and rims, re-lacing the wheels (first timer... so no telling how thats gonna work out!!) Add some lights for night riding, etc.

Here is a before pic to show what Ive got to start with...
bike1.jpg

And here is a pic of a trial fit on the forks...
bike5.jpg

I just got done cutting and welding on the frame today, so Ill have new pics up soon. But here is a pic that kinda explains why I wanted to rake the neck a little bit. If you compare the two red lines, it looks like the head tube is in a slightly "closed" position in relation to the seat post... I want it to at least be parallel. It will probably make it ride different, but I wouldnt know, I didnt ride it in the before stage.
check it out...
bike7.jpg

I also gotta say, those Stingray chopper forks are pretty versatile, They fit right on without too much trouble and only had to shorten the headtube, but the cool part it that you can use the original stingray bars which dont look too bad, but are double clamped which limits handlebar choices... OR I can take all that stuff off and just use a regular stem... giving me a whole lot more choices handlebar wise.

Re: Lawrenceburg Flyer... my first build

Heres a few pics of the changes.... chop chop

The original dropouts were pretty banged up, and looked a little thin, So I welded in some 1/8" plate so it wouldnt collapse under my 250# of flab. I also welded up the crimps and smoothed them off.
bike8.jpg

Pic of the rake job, Wasnt too hard, just cut clean thru the top tube, and 7/8 thru the bottom, ground some on the top tube to create a gap, then brought it back together and welded it up. Ill have to throw it back together to see just how much it changed, but it should be very slight.
bike9.jpg

And one final pic of the fork tubes, had a clearance issue with the larger 26" wheel, so chop chop, issue resolved.
bike10.jpg

I think those subtle changes will look good! Sometimes not a whole lot is needed to make things look a whole lot better. :) What colour are you planning on?

Well, Im having a buddy powdercoat it, and I think Im leaning towards a flat red... not a bright red, but more like a deep red with some brown in it. We couldnt find a flat red, but we did find a burgundy color to play with along with some gloss killer. Hopefully it will all work out.

Im probably going to add some hand brushed rust "patina" to give it an old bike look. Along with some kind of artwork on the tank I am planning on making.

I have one of those stingray forks on my dyno roadster, and would love to put a regular headstock/different bars on it, but can't figure out how... Could you explain this or post pics? Thanks! Good lookin' build so far by the way...

BrigmasterA said:
I have one of those stingray forks on my dyno roadster, and would love to put a regular headstock/different bars on it, but can't figure out how... Could you explain this or post pics? Thanks! Good lookin' build so far by the way...

Not sure if I can explain it right, but here goes...

On the original stingray forks, the bars are held on with two clamps ala motorcycle style, well the clamps come right off. Next you would remove the large round nut, it has a rubber plug in it for looks...just remove the rubber plug and it unscrews with a regular allen wrench.

Removing that stuff allows you to use a regular bike stem in the steering tube along with the large nut.

Ill get some pics on here to explain it better.

aka_locojoe said:
Wow nice work!

Hey thanks, Im almost done with the metal work, hope to have it powdercoated maybe late this week or sometime next week. BTW Im on the lookout for a decent 26" rim, I got the wheels unlaced and the rear rim scares me, its pretty warped and every attempt to straighten it up just causes stress elsewhere on the rim...im just not sure if its going to true up or honestly... am I really up to the challenge since im a re-lacing virgin?

Its a 36 spoke, so if you know someone that has a spare, let me know. Id really like to find one soon as these will be one of the first things to get coated.

Brigmaster, here you go....

What I started with
fork1.jpg

Remove the original handlebar clamps
fork2.jpg

Remove the round nut
fork3.jpg

And ska-blammo its a done deal.

Install a regular bike stem and bars
fork4.jpg

Ok. I've got a different style stingray chopper fork, off a 20 inch version I think. Had a 24 inch front. Man I gotta keep my eye out for those ol' choppers that lil' jonny outgrew or got tired of just for the forks. :mrgreen:

I picked mine up on Craigslist for $20 from a family that had twin boys with twin schwinn choppers they outgrew, I bought one to use as parts on a mini-bike chopper project, and come to find out I have a use for some of the other parts too!

That chaingaurd is blazin hot.Nice job.

oh dude!!!... that chainguard is awesome. great idea.

Thanks guys!

The chainguard kinda scares me! I remember as a kid getting my pants stuck in the crank. And after thinking about it for a little bit it seems that my leg is probably no match for the angle of those cuts, so you could actually call the chainguard the meatgrinder!!

It does clear the crank arm, now just gotta see if it will clear my leg :mrgreen:

I scrounged up a cool old lamp, not sure if it will be headlamp or taillamp, but Im gonna use it one way or another.

It has a cool fluted lens, that probably wouldnt work too well as a headlamp, Ill either switch it over to clear or red glass. And Ill have to modify it to run some high intensity LED's

lamp1.jpg

lamp2.jpg

lamp3.jpg

Just an update...

Some things came up and the project got sidelined, but since things are finally settling down I should be able to get back on it.

I did get a replacement rim from LocoJoe, thanks again! and I did manage to get them powdercoated a flat black, I even managed to get both wheels relaced, but still need to true them up.

The dream of powdercoating the frame and other parts is not to be... After getting the rims done it turns out to be too expensive, even with a buddy doing the work! So... Going a different route. Using some paint and other stuff to come up with a "different" finish. I would post a pic of my progress, but im not exactly sure of how its gonna look but it should be "different" for sure.

Ive been thinking of how Im gonna make the tank, and at first I was leaning towards making a styrofoam plug, then fiberglassing over it, and then dissolve the foam using solvents... but im not a big fan of working with glass, so Im probably gonna end up just making one out of sheetmetal using a buck. I dont have a shrinker so im gonna have to cut and weld the corners, but it shouldnt be too bad.

Back