just had a pretty wicked crash... oy!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, long story.

Beautiful labor day afternoon, I decide to take my Big Red Rocket of Love out for a cruise because I just replaced the crank over the weekend (after 8 months of having it on my to-do list). I was riding down a residential back road, where they have torn up the edges of it, I assume to re-asphalt. So with the edges of the road all beat up I decide to ride more towards the middle of the street. Some car comes flying up behind me honking the horn (everyone in CT is in a hurry). I just kept riding where I was, and waited for them to pass. They eventually did, but within a few inches of me :x . I make some hand gestures intended to relate the importance of giving a bicyclist room on the road. Just then I realize I am at my turn, and I am about to turn into it, and remembered that the edge of the road is still torn up. I tried to jump the 4" asphalt lip on the road with my front wheel. Next thing I know me and the bike are on our sides in the middle of the road, and the driver of a car waiting at the intersection was asking out his window if I was ok. I had the wind knocked out of me so I just nodded, picked up my bike, and gingerly got back on and started slowly riding away. The bike was fine (except for my bell, see pics), and I was starting to get my breath back. I continue to my destination of the grocery store, load up on eats (but not beer, stupid liquor laws), and head home. I get inside with the bike, unload the groceries and clean my wounds (a few scrapes). And I realize that my side really hurts, I think I bruised a rib. This might be my most bodily damaging bike crash (usually for me it's just the bike that's hurt).

And the funniest part about all this: I tried to remember the last time I even crashed a bike (I ride daily), and it was about 8 months ago, back in Rochester, and I was riding the same bike! Pretty similar situation too, I was trying to turn into a parking lot from the road and there was a major lip in the sidewalk. It was after that crash that I had realized that the crank was stripped and would have to be replaced. The bike sat for 8 months while I messed around with other projects, and as soon as I got the bike fixed again, and take it out for a ride, I crash it (maybe it's cursed?). At least this bike can take a beating, and me too :) I was planning on trying to get some work done on my AngelWing build tonight, but now I just feel like lying on the couch and taking it easy. Oh well, I guess that's what I get for trying to do too much on labor day. :roll:

2818912229_827ccc1aea.jpg

The Big Red Rocket of Love, unharmed.

2819756912_afefc491c7.jpg

The bell took most of the damage. Now it goes dink donk.

2818909437_fcc55f02e6.jpg

A little bit of road rash. Not enough to really impress anyone, unfortunately. :lol:

First off. Glad that your okay. At LEAST the driver had enough decency to see if you were all right!..........Finnaly........Sell that bike!

glad you're ok, and dont feel bad most of my bells go dink donk and they havent even been in a wreck! :oops:
Scott 8)

I'd rename that bike 'Christine" :shock: :D

I took my '69 stingray out the other week and headed for a car show. Dressed the tires up real good with a tire black liquid. Big mistake. i headed out the driveway into the street and made a left turn. It was like riding on ice. The bike went out from under me and there was no way to right her. Smack down on my left side. Scraped up the left side of the apes and pretty good cut on my knee and pepper in the palm of my hand.

It's just so embarrasing to take a spill. Especially at 48!

Spin

Back