Just bought this today (boys stingray)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just bought this today. I normally work until 5:30pm but I got out of work early today so I went bumming around and saw this. I had no cash so I had to leave it there and take the chance someone else wouldn't buy it. I had to borrow the money from my best friend's parents but I needed this bike bad.

I always wanted a schwinn stingray boys bike for the last 5 years or more but nothing ever turned up for sale for under $350.

I found a 1965 stingray boys bike a few days ago on Friday but it has the shorter frame and needs alot of things. Basically it was the frame, crank assembly, and chainguard. The rest of the parts are non-correct.

This bike needs not alot. It needs a seat, rear seat support, chainguard, tires, handlebars, fenders (want a deluxe model that had fenders), petals, grips, paint, decals and some correct schwinn bolts, nuts and washers and screwes.

The wheels are original schwinn wheels. The rear is a double knurl S-2 (the wheel isn't marked schwinn but not all S-2 wheels were marked) and the front wheel is original S-7 (didn't check for markings yet on the front wheel).

It is a GK so I guess that makes it a July 1974 bike. It was red originally I think.

Now i gotta find someone with a chainguard for it. Then I'll start inquiring about the other parts I need once I have a good chainguard for it (finding one in blue with the schwinn stingray name on it would be awesome).

Just got done 'mess'in with the bike some. It took quite awhile but I finally got the long seatpost out of the frame. There was a huge, long, solid, heavy wooden, round, dowel jammed inside the hollow part of the seat post itself. The seatpost is bent a little but since the chrome is nice on it yet, I'll try and bend it back somehow.

The original color was red. I like it in blue better. I have proper ape hanger handlebars on it now (wald) and i got the bmx style saddle seat off it.

I'll need a seatpost clamp in good shape, fenders (1971 style), chainguard without the dip in it, and tires. It has the correct schwinn S-2 and S-7 wheels so tires won't be easy to find reasonably since I want a cheater slik rear tire and street tread front tire.

I had blue original schwinn grips and krate style pedals for it already.

Back