Just bought my first cruiser.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visit my friend down in San Diego (Pacific Beach) a bunch and would always his girlfriends cruiser to cruise around on and found it to be really fun so I hopped on craigslist and picked one up for 80 bucks.
I hadn't played around with a bike since I was about 11 (24 now)

How it looked on the ad

After I took possession of it I lowered the bars and raised the seat for long distance riding
27photo.jpg

Then I got it back home (Orange County) and was really set on painting it flat black, im not much of a fan of blue and it was really poorly done and chipped up

4photo(2).jpg

How it looks now
I haven't really taken apart a bike before so I just sorta winged it and had some challenges putting it back together but im hoping to learn more!
5photo(3).jpg

I really like the rat rod look and want to do some rust colored stuff (sproket, seat bar, rims)

Galtbacken said:
Welcome! :) You've already made that bike look alot better than it did to begin with! :D

First: Evan, welcome!
Galtbaken: Hey! Blue is my favorite color!! :mrgreen:
Evan: Your bike looks sick! Really, really dig the fork! 8)

welcome aboard and really like the cruiser. looks like a murray monterey frame, by the rear dropouts and general frame features, but who knows. you did a nice improvement to this bike, even though i dig blue, the black just works better.

bikeriderx said:
Galtbaken: Hey! Blue is my favorite color!! :mrgreen:

Yeah, it's one of my favourite colours too...just not on that bike! :lol: But really, all he had to do to make it look better was to turn down the bars a bit... :D

roadmaster said:
welcome aboard and really like the cruiser. looks like a murray monterey frame, by the rear dropouts and general frame features, but who knows. you did a nice improvement to this bike, even though i dig blue, the black just works better.
The blue in some places was chipped down to the metal, which was past the primer, and the original (teal) finish.
It also had a ton of over spray and runs all over the place.

welcome aboard... bike looks great!

tip: maybe this will help when i was in the Marines i used to lay out a piece of paper and as i removed each part i would set it on the paper and mark the order in witch i removed it (as well as which side was up down or in and out).... then reverse the steps to rebuild... now that was with machine guns, but the principle should work just as well with bikes!

Picked up a road bike today.
bike1.jpg

1984 schwinn, want to do a restoration eventually but im just gonna leave it as is for now and ride it a lot.

cool roadbike. i have an 86 schwinn tempo roadbike that i used to race with in triatholons. on one race, crossed a bridge with an abrupt edge that hit so hard i pinch flatted my rear tire. had 3 more miles to go and by the time i was getting close to the finish line (3man team, i only rode bike), my rear tire was flat and sparking, but i still rode in HOT and finished. we ended up finishing 1st in team catagory and our picture on th efront of our local paper (dunsmuir news circa sept 99) with this story in it. just thought you'd like a great schwinn road bike story. moral, you can run these schwinn road bikes till th ewheels almost litterally roll off.

Back