Josephine gets a markeover - becomes CRANKY!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 90%
9   1   0
Through pure luck and timing i managed to wrangle Josephing from Gaskill and decided to do a little tinkering.

Josephine at a benefit/show in Fraklin, TN.
4602743007_c3429b2012.jpg

Gaskill is an awesome guy!! he had her sandblasted and put some parts i gave him for it on it and he and smoopy both delivered it to my house. stellar!!! This is it with some surley large marge 26x3 wheels with a shimano nexus 3-speed wrapped in 26x2.125 tires with newer sprockets and bars.
cranky2.jpg

Gaskill had to put a new fork on becuase the original wouldn't clear the wheels and tires. the fork neck was a bit too tall so i cut it down a little and had it welded back together.

Decided to play with some colors. i had originally planned on painting it burgundy or maroon but after seeing it on the bike i didn't like it.
cranky4.jpg

No offense intended here - obviously this is your bike now to do with it as you wish, and it does look kind of cool, but from my own point of view, Gaskill is an artist whose projects need to be left alone as the original pieces of amazing work that they are. I mean, just because you could buy the Mona Lisa, doesn't mean you should draw in a beach scene in the background, ya know? :wink: Remember, you asked! :mrgreen:

Hammond Eggz said:
No offense intended here - obviously this is your bike now to do with it as you wish, and it does look kind of cool, but from my own point of view, Gaskill is an artist whose projects need to be left alone as the original pieces of amazing work that they are. I mean, just because you could buy the Mona Lisa, doesn't mean you should draw in a beach scene in the background, ya know? :wink: Remember, you asked! :mrgreen:

that is so true.
sorry, no offense too. but with the fresh, clean, shiney paint, it tooks out the steampunkish vibe that amazed me when i first saw Josephine.

highwheelerboy25 said:
ouch. . . now im kinda torn between being proud and ashamed.

Don't be ashamed! This is your bike, and I suppose your changing things on it for you to like it. That's what's important. :)

Funny, a couple of days ago i also wanted to write that this was like overpainting the Mona Lisa - but didnt dare to write such a thing as a newbie on this board - i and also i think that adding shiny paint to something that was made to look old and worn also changes the idea of that bike/sculpture/work of art.

Come on people! To compare this with overpainting the Mona Lisa is just out of proportion! And judging from Gaskills post he's ok with it. He built it, sold it and it seems he even helped the new owner to make some changes to it.
We might like the changes or we might not, but let's at least try to keep our thoughts balanced...

Galtbacken said:
And judging from Gaskills post he's ok with it. He built it, sold it and it seems he even helped the new owner to make some changes to it.
We might like the changes or we might not, but let's at least try to keep our thoughts balanced...
I totally agree. It is highwheelerboys bike to do as he likes. Just like the guy who decides to paint a Electra Rat Fink or cut up a Schwinn DX to make a burrito.

I don't mind the change in paint but the white walls draw my eye away from the bike. Maybe try putting on some black tires.

Back