JonTheGun's budget build!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the story. I graduated in the spring, moved back home with my parents, couldn't find a job, had no money and a lot of time.
I had a load of bike parts lying round in my garage so I decided to be pro-active and build a new bike.

I started with a Mongoose Villain BMX frame and went from there. I cut all the break lugs and stuff off and took off some of the nasty chrome.
Picture011-4.jpg

The cobbled together some parts for the crank and found an old 44t Profile Racing sprocket.
I used the forks and a load of other bits of a rubbish 26" mountain bike.
Picture007-4.jpg

The headset was a bit tricky because of the size difference between BMX and mountain bike stuff, but I bodged it enough to work pretty smoothly!
Picture019-2.jpg

Then I retrimed an old BMX saddle in some check material.
Picture005-1.jpg

I found some cool Kawasaki Spectra Motor Bike handle bars, they were super cheap and they look awesome. So I sanded them down to give them a satin look.
Picture015-3.jpg

I also had to buy a new rear hub as I didn't have any lying around, so I took both the wheels apart sprayed the rims red and laced the wheels back together, always a fun job!
Picture020-1.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture023.jpg

I found a big fat motor bike chain I could use.
Picture017.jpg

I didn't have any seat posts that would swept back far enough for my liking so I made one from some BMX handle bars.
Picture048.jpg

Then I decided that the check trimmed BMX saddle wasn't really right for the bike so I scrapped some penny's together and splashed out on a Brooks sprung seat.
Picture046.jpg

And there it is, the finished artical.
Picture054.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture059.jpg

I know it's not the same league as some of your bikes, but it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it to the pub!

Jon

GREAT LOOK!

The handlebars are REAL cool. Long reach, not so high rise...
I like apes, but those look REALLY comfortable.

Nice job
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Wow, thanks for all the kind words! I really didn't expect this bike to get a good reception. I'm glad you all like it.

The Kawasaki bars are pretty comfortable, and combined with the bigger front rim, they give the bike a bit of street presence.

I will get a proper project bike soon. There aren't many curved, low slung frames over here so I'm thinking of getting something British like a Rudge or a Raleigh.

Jon

JonTheGun said:
it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it to the pub!

And man, that is what it is ALL about. Nice looking bike bro. ;) Id ride it.

ricksterr1221 said:
JonTheGun said:

Dude, cool tripple wall back rim too. ;)

ricksterr1221 said:
ricksterr1221 said:
JonTheGun said:

Dude, cool tripple wall back rim too. ;)

Haha, That's just because I can get to the pub faster! :D Glad you like it dude.

The tripple wall rim is an Alex Super E, still managed to buckle it!

JonTheGun said:
Wow, thanks for all the kind words! I really didn't expect this bike to get a good reception. I'm glad you all like it.

Jon

It got a great reception because everyone can respect what you did. You took what you had and turned it into something you liked, thats the name of the game. Hack up what you have and build some skills while having fun, then you can only get better from there! Looks great.

looks well diffrent to my villain, really really cool tho, there is a shortage of curvy frames over here, saw one for sale but by the time i found out about it it was sold, an old racer frame would be cool, like with brased lugs etc

Thank you kindly!

The Villain frame is about 2000 I think, and it's from the Pro series if that makes any difference?!
What does you're Villain frame look like?

I'm gunna have to sort some brakes out for this bike now, it's just getting a bit too interesting flying down hills. Think i'll find a coaster hub for it as I don't want to cluter the fram up with cables and stuff.

I have been keeping an eye out for something oldschool but whenever I see something I like I can't justify spending any money on yet another bike!

Jon

So it's been a while since I've been out on the bike, but took it for a cruise along the beach front the other night with one of my mates on his low rider.

Just a couple of rubbish phone photo's...

Image032.jpg

Image031-1.jpg

Back