JC Jalopy (June 1st Update)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
This is my first build-off so we'll see what happens. I'll be using this JC Higgins colorflow?, not sure on the model. I've broken it all down and there isn't a part that isn't bent, stripped, rusted solid or damaged in some way. Since replacing the damaged parts would yield me a completely different bike I'll be rebuilding it piece by piece with bought parts to a minimum. I'll be building it up like fathers and grandfathers did back in the day after dragging something like this out of a garbage pile or the dump. It won't be a beauty queen but it'll be rideable. Stay tuned.
S0qvPY1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: JC Jalopy.

I found a front wheel to match the rear one. Now I have two serviceable wheels to use. I cleaned them up and gave them a nice coat of paint. Brush paint was used for authenticity sake :mrgreen:
h6q0Sz8.jpg

Last edited:
Re: JC Jalopy (May 22 Update)

I refinished the frame and the fork and reassembled them. I also found a cool tractor headlight and stuck that on there as well. With the light above the beehive springer it reminds me of a 40's Harley WLA fork.
lfvz03E.jpg

Last edited:

Diggin' the Higgins! Good job. Did you use one of those throw away brushes? :wink: :lol:

I think it's cool how you have a bike like your first pics, and now you're resurrecting it into something cool! Looks great so far!

ej599 said:
Diggin' the Higgins! Good job. Did you use one of those throw away brushes? :wink: :lol:
And waste a perfectly good 54 cent paint brush? Nonsense! Its starting to come together. I rebuilt the hubs on both the wheels last night. That New Departure Model D is wild, it has a billion little friction discs in there, all of which were gummed up with dried grease.

Last edited:

there should be 19 disks. a trick to overhaulling them is clean all the disks then use a scotch brite pad to remove the varnish from the disks. then when putting it back together grease the bearings but between each disk use oil. i find that they stop much better doing it that way

I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference. I guess that's what the oilier cap is for. Luckily it seems to work fine.

I started working on a small chainguard since I don't have any decent looking spares to throw on there.
X8LTYjW.jpg

2PW8iS3.jpg

uaCsY65.jpg

Last edited:
Finished the chain guard, it didn't turn out too bad. I used a set of 1" rubber insulated clamps to attach it, which worked perfect.
lqrb7gl.jpg

Last edited:
Re: JC Jalopy (May 27 Big Update)

The "bulk" of the bike is assembled. I wet sanded the painted parts and clear-coated them. The chrome parts (or lack of chrome) were wire brushed and clear-coated. All the bearings have been cleaned and greased. The seat pan was rusted out so I made a new wooden one. Unfortunately the foam flattened out so now it looks pretty sorry. I'll have to do something about that. I had the perfect set of tires for this bike, a set of "shop worn" white tires that had turned cream from age as well as being covered with dirt and grease. Still have a lot of odds and ends and little details to work out before its done though.

Last edited:

that would make a good club bike for the hooligans with the green color. sweet ride

Very nice.Looks like a comfy ride too. :mrgreen:

What kind of tires are those, and what width? Great bike!

Back