JC Higgins skip tooth find!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the local second hand store (actually looking for old rc or model cars to modify, another hobby of mine...) and was just about to leave when I spotted a pair of vintage cruisers... from a distance they looked like they matched, very cool. After I got a bit closer I knew the girl's frame was a skip tooth, but not the guys... I have been looking for a cool girls frame project to "pay back" a friend who gave me a men's frame bike that she bought and I had been coveting ever since then, could this be the right bike for her? Yup, its a JC Higgins/ sears roebuck and co. skip tooth. A little neglected, poorly painted, but definitely worth salvaging! I decided to pass on the guys bike and not piss off the love of my life with yet another garage crowding project, but I did snatch up the Higgins, crammed it in the back of the Xterra and drove home. It may have the original tires on it, Goodyears, and they actually seem in great shape if they are...

Plans are a complete teardown, media blast, purple and green paint, bearings replacement as needed... not a resto job, but a modern take on an old bike. Tossing the front basket, and I am undecided on the grips and seat color, so we'll see what the budget allows... thinking some big fatty white balloon tires might look cool though!

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

Any info or pointers to more info are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for stopping by!

From the pics, I can narrow it down to 1951-57, and thinking it's on the earlier end of that. Very similar to the men's bike with the "exhaust pipe" graphics on the tank. They show a corresponding ladie's model in the catalog, but the illustration is too small to make out the tank graphics. I think I already responded on a different post that this serial # stamping is different from the norm, and not as decipherable as the typical numbering. -Adam

Thanks Adam. Really appreciate the help. I have spent quite a bit of time the last few days scouring the net for a similar bike and haven't found much.

Back