JC Higgins rebuild (done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bike about 3 weeks ago, really excited, out of all bikes i have owned over the years this is my first Higgins.
I am two-faced when it comes to rebuilding bikes, on one hand i love seeing bikes that are restored to original sale date quality and then on the other hand i think that one of the biggest reasons these bicycles are so cool is because they are old and have survived so long, so why try and hide that?? my solution is to clear off all bombed spray-paint, grease and most of the rust and give a coat of new paint to the frame and fork.

This is her when i found her
528689_4334484928089_599718815_n.jpg

120804-191129-1.jpg

120804-191103-1.jpg

120804-191110.jpg

120804-191048.jpg

Re: JC Higgins rebuild

Im not really good at cataloging work so there is a pretty big jump from then to now, I disassembled the bike completely and stripped off all paint, sanded off alot of the rust and applied primer to both the frame and fork
IMG_3468.jpg

i thought that the seat was reapolstered but when i took it apart it appears that it is the original padding and fabric so im going to leave it how it is.
IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

Kickstand bumper,
IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

i tried to find some wooden grips (i have always wanted to find a vintage set of those) but was unsuccessful so these will have to do for now
IMG_3479.jpg

^^all that was a week ago. I have been working at a bike shop/Locksmith for the past 4 months (13 hour days these past two weeks), mostly doing lock jobs but i get to work on bikes from time to time. I got done with a public school locking job a little early today so I swung by the shop and put her together.

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

I built her up but I couldn't think of anything to name her, usually names will just come naturally to me in a build, like the bike will almost tell me their name, I talked to my coworker about a name but we couldn't think of anything, but then, as I was wheeling her out to my van she said "Psst.. my name is Penelope"

this one is a sweet and calm build. i love the brake strap for sure!! 8) 8)

Nice job. I like the grey color, subtle. You don't see too many calm (as Craiggo said) builds.

Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Lookin good!!

Carbon said:
Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Lookin good!!
hahah! YES! love that movie!

Latest posts

Back