JC Higgins Name?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know what years was the JC Higgins name used on bicycles?

I know I should have asked in the id section and I know it was answered before but it is said in so many posts about someones specific bike so searching for it will take most likely a few weeks, I will post in a few after someone answers the question because of what I saw the other day may make your answer wrong after I show you makes me ask that question above.

Roughly '46-47 until 1962. Successor to 'Elgin', predecessor to 'Sears' but all were sold through Sears.

Thanks and now everyone can now add the 1990's because I have looked on SearsPartsDirect and they had Murray made JC Higgins bikes but the diagrams showed they had the same frame, fork & those 90's foam grips that go over the whole handlebar found on Monterey's and now I have some real proof to back up those diagrams.

Here is this 90's Murray made JC Higgins I saw on CL.
http://lakeland.craigslist.org/bik/3436645054.html

Ah dang, I want some decals like the ones in the craiglist pic but the sears site doesnt show a picture. I suspect one would get Murray decals vs Jc higgins.

I would think that the nameing of this murray bicycle as Jc Higgins is a recent retro move and that there is a very large gap of time between the Murray bikes being badged or decaled as such.

Yeah Murray started going retro by bringing back springer forks, the Mercury name and I assume Murray & Sears got together to do these JC Higgins in the last days before Murray started making them in China, I believe the Chinese built bikes were kids & mountain bikes only not beach cruisers.

Here is an example of the last US Murray beach cruisers, it's my Murray called a Murray Valiant Classic.

IMG_20120614_154200.jpg

Actually, their whole sporting goods line was named JC Higgins, so one could buy luggage and even rifles with the name! 63 was the last year it was mentioned in the catalog, the new Spaceliner late that year was just called Sears. It took a while for them to use up the 3 piece cranks with JCH on them, as well as misc decals and whatnot. -Adam

I still have my J.C. Higgins fishing rod my dad bought me in 1st grade...1961. It needs a new grip and eyelets. Gary

Back