JC Higgins knives?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm assuming it's the same company. Is this a rarity? I was just thinking the other day about using a knife as the handle for a jockey shifter. Anyone ever see one of these?
The forum made me crop the pic a bunch.
Screenshot_2017-01-28-11-17-49-1-1.png

Yeah, I've seen all kinds of camping stuff. It was kind of a cheaper Coleman rip off brand at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC Higgins never made anything. It was the Sears brand name for sporting goods and related equipment; other manufacturers made the products and labelled them "JC Higgins" for sale in Sears department store. This is true of the bicycles, as well as the knives, and the vast majority of the products bearing that label. Many of the knives were actually produced by Western and Schrade-Walden.

Wow, awesome info guys!!! Please keep it up! I love info like this.

The knife shifter is actually an excuse to introduce a stacked wrap into the build. I, too, love stacked wraps. I even considered an old Estwing hammer handle, but that would be a bit on the tall side.

I play billiards, and I HATE!!! linen wraps on cues. Can't stand the feel. I would LOVE to have a stacked wrap added to my cue, though. Polished, they feel like a wrapless cues in my hand.

JC Higgins never made anything. It was the Sears brand name for sporting goods and related equipment; other manufacturers made the products and labelled them "JC Higgins" for sale in Sears department store. This is true of the bicycles, as well as the knives, and the vast majority of the products bearing that label. Many of the knives were actually produced by Western and Schrade-Walden.
http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/jchiggins.htm

I do not know a Kelly Stephens

He's a custom knife maker from my hometown. Moved to Florida somewhere. Made a name for himself in the custom knife world. I figured the community was kinda small, and that you may have known him.

Haven't seen him since I was a young child; got a little excited when you mentioned working at a knife shop.

JCH was the name of Sears' sporting goods line, so it was used on a bunch of different items, including luggage! Same thing with Montgomery Ward and the Hawthorne line. -Adam

Back