Jc Higgins JetFlow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks to Roadmaster- I thought I might as well have a build thread. Here was a quick cleanup question i had:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28447

I got this bike two days ago, and thought about what i was going to do with it it. Decided I am going to clean it up, do some sort of low grade restoration. Clean up all of the rust and clean up and polish the paint.

I was driving to go somewhere-and was stopped by my neighbor, and one of their friends came to the car, he told me to stop by later-he had a bike from the 1930s. I stopped by, couldnt see it buried under all of the salt spreaders and big wheels, i saw the frame and had to have it. I got a very good price for it, and threw it in the dynasty and drove off...Slapped it on the ground from the trunk-i got it in pieces.
da03ac99.jpg

I wanted to mock it up, and it gave me problems. Im missing some screws and nuts and bolts here and there (Mainly for the fenders)...I also have the wrong pieces for my fork-Its either got two left wheel mounts-or two right. I am also missing the nut and bolt that holds the hive to the fork...Eh!
IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5671.jpg

Ive got stuff soaking in rust remover stuff-its not acid-but its...Acid Like...I like it. I do not know if i trust it with chrome YET.

What would clean this up? My car's handle has the same problem...I unno...
IMG_5670.jpg

IMG_5668.jpg

Everything is here except a few things. Chainguard and headlight mount.

Nice bike.

I took a look at my beehive to see which side mounts you have. Those are both right side mounts. Someone has 2 lefts somewhere I guess. Is there another bike at the house where this came from? It's going to be tough finding a left side mount. Maybe one can be fabricated. The bolt for the spring is just a 3/8 nut and bolt.

i don't see why you can't use 2 right side mounts, the wheel will just be a little to the right. :)

as for polishhing plastic, ya know the polish that comes in most buffing kits for the dremel (brown)
DO NOT USE THE DREMEL, you can melt the plastic real good.

just put some on a piece of paper towel and start rubbing.
i polished out clear lense covers for the lights on my buddies 68 mandella race boat. looked real milky white, now there clear as glass

you can also purchase aviation polished,acrylic aquarium polish but most 1800+ grit paste will probably work (with a rag or paper towel)

Excellent project......just like I like them :mrgreen:

Wildcat said:
Nice bike.

I took a look at my beehive to see which side mounts you have. Those are both right side mounts. Someone has 2 lefts somewhere I guess. Is there another bike at the house where this came from? It's going to be tough finding a left side mount. Maybe one can be fabricated. The bolt for the spring is just a 3/8 nut and bolt.
I never noticed any other bikes at his house-im thinking of calling him back to see if there is anything laying around. I would blame the last owner-he said he got it from an old lady in the neighboring city.

icyuod2 said:
i don't see why you can't use 2 right side mounts, the wheel will just be a little to the right. :)

as for polishhing plastic, ya know the polish that comes in most buffing kits for the dremel (brown)
DO NOT USE THE DREMEL, you can melt the plastic real good.

just put some on a piece of paper towel and start rubbing.
i polished out clear lense covers for the lights on my buddies 68 mandella race boat. looked real milky white, now there clear as glass

you can also purchase aviation polished,acrylic aquarium polish but most 1800+ grit paste will probably work (with a rag or paper towel)

I actually meant the metal-its for some reason all pitty

and yes, i am using the two until i find another

I keep forgetting to snap a before picture of parts-but this is what i got:

I am using ZEP Metal prep rust remover. Apparently its non acidic...Works awesome.
I got it for $1.50 at home depot on clearance.
IMG_5680.jpg

sprocket/neck
IMG_5681.jpg

i dont think i'm going to do anything about the seat pan...maybe?
IMG_5679.jpg

finished parts and other stuff soaking
IMG_5678.jpg

headlight casing and other stuff in here too
IMG_5677.jpg

Messy-I just cleaned the shop too.

Wow thats a sweet looking bike, I am sure it will clean up well.

I am picking up this late 50's schwinn today (thread will be started soon) and with its amount of surface rust i want to soak all parts , rims etc in a big tub. Based in the experience you have of this ZEP do you think I should give it a shot? the though of using fine steel wool to clean it and the hours/days it will take to clean it up is not something I want to do :? :mrgreen:

I found the stuff really cheap-there are cheaper alternatives unless you find the zep for the same price I did.

It was about $15 regularly-and $1.50 on clearence...lol...

But altogether-its great-it works pretty good-and it apparently isnt dangerous...

I have got pictures i need to upload-Just detail pictures. One of the sides of the tank is cleaning up great...Its a pain getting so close to the paint to remove the rust though...it just scares me. I have an idea for that!...Painters Tape! I dont know why i didnt think of it before.
Skipton said:
Great looking project :mrgreen:
It is, Thanks!
LCW said:
Thanks, off to home depot, again :mrgreen:
Another Example-
I was digging at my dads house and found an old rusty cap gun...I threw it in the rust stuff and it shines now...Should have taken a before and after shot, but of course i wasnt thinking

Back