JC Higgins bike I had to have

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jchiggins3.jpg

It has a Komet Super coaster brake. The chain wheel has the holes for a spaceliner hub cap, I dont know if they came on other bikes or not. The pedals look too new to be original, it has Hunt Wilde grips. On the dropout it has 502 45702 65045. The light works.
I'm thinking that the seat, grips, chain wheel, and pedals are not original.
I paid $75.00. I've paid more for less, but most of the time that would be my max for a bike.
I'm Happy

Hey Gonzo
Looking at the catalog you have a 1961. It was listed at $37.95, $4.00 dollars off from the previous year. It was the step down from the regular Flightliner that year The original color was listed as a metallic red for boys and blue for the girls bikes. Shipping weight was 57 pounds. Cool bike, I always buy a a Higgins when I get a chance. Good deal on that one. My wife and I are riding a couple of our Higgins in the Tour De Fat in Fort Collins next weekend. Enjoy !!! Leo

Leobeerguy said:
Hey Gonzo
Looking at the catalog you have a 1961. It was listed at $37.95, $4.00 dollars off from the previous year. It was the step down from the regular Flightliner that year The original color was listed as a metallic red for boys and blue for the girls bikes. Shipping weight was 57 pounds. Cool bike, I always buy a a Higgins when I get a chance. Good deal on that one. My wife and I are riding a couple of our Higgins in the Tour De Fat in Fort Collins next weekend. Enjoy !!! Leo

So is it a Flightliner, or did it have different name?

Oh and the tires have some cracks, but still hold air. They say Sears Allstate.

Hi Gonzo, no it is not a Flightliner. It was a stripped down cheaper bike made by them. In the catalog it does not have a name listed. Still a cool bike. Leo

Gonzo Adonis said:
jchiggins3.jpg

It has a Komet Super coaster brake. The chain wheel has the holes for a spaceliner hub cap, I dont know if they came on other bikes or not. The pedals look too new to be original, it has Hunt Wilde grips. On the dropout it has 502 45702 65045. The light works.
I'm thinking that the seat, grips, chain wheel, and pedals are not original.
I paid $75.00. I've paid more for less, but most of the time that would be my max for a bike.
I'm Happy

Im going to look at a bike just like this tomorrow. I have had a few Higgins and still do but i had never seen one with the tank and no light at the front of the tank, i will post pictures tomorrow, he said it has 24" wheels does that sound wright. Sulley

This is the only picture i have of it at this moment but you can see it mixed in with some other bikes. LOL
5Ka5Fe5Mc3ma3La3o6c9692652c3b902717ae.jpg

Got the bike this morning, did a little cleaning, aired up the origanial tires and took it for a ride. Got some numbers off it MOD502 45722 370522 any idea of the year. Sulley

016-4.jpg

Sulley said:
Got the bike this morning, did a little cleaning, aired up the origanial tires and took it for a ride.$40 , Got some numbers off it MOD502 45722 370522 any idea of the year. Sulley

016-4.jpg

It looks like the little bro of my bike. I bet mine looked like that before the repaint. Mine has 502 45702 65045 and its a 61.
Yours is 502 45722 370522, I think the 2nd group of numbers is the catolog number. So it could be the same year.
Whatever year it is, it's a great buy...better than mine.

Hi Sulley
Looking in the catalog yours is also a 1961. If I am not mistaken it should be a 24 inch. It sold for $37.95 new. It was on sale the previous spring for $42.95. It was 51 pounds. Nice looking bike. Enjoy!!!

Thanks guys, its in great shape and yes its a 24" it has Sears Crusader tires origainal from what i know from the owner, the fender light is no good so i found a replacement all i have to do is paint the bottom white. This will go good with my 60 Flightliner. I really dont think i will do much to it other than the fender light.Sulley

002-20.jpg

I got the fender light for it, changed the seat around. Its a nice bike maybe a keeper. :wink: :wink: Sulley

006_zpsde289ecc.jpg

Back