Jack-shaft help!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if your building a real low bike and the seat lands in the chain line, you need a jack-shaft right? How do you build one or get one?

Can you snap a pic to show how much clearance. I have a similar issue now with the kids bike build off and I think I can resolve with a old derauller. Glad to share the idea.

Didn't get pics today but will tommorow! I have a derailer that I'm thinking about using too, but the gears are plastic or poly-nylon, not sure. The question is, will the gears hold up under load or get chewed to bits?

I am sure using the derauller roller would work. the only exception you might have to use a chain like on a road bike and not one with a master link you will get a pop every time the roller hits the master link. I found building mine it is trial and error.

ok I got home tonight and worked something up pretty simple really firt disassemble the derauller.
IM000679.jpg
then weld a post on the seat post /downtube using 1\2 inch roundbar or similar and drill and tap a 10\24 or 10\32 hole in the middle it wont matter because the chain will be turning the direction of the screw. (please excuse my welds not so pretty)
IM000681.jpg
viola chain is out of the way. mine was hitting the rear forks.
IM000683.jpg
Hope this helps later dude.

Cool :!: I tackled mine today, welded a steel plate with some holes drilled to mount the derailer. I also tacked the derailer to keep it in place, when you pedaled it would move and chain drags the frame. It does have adjustability in and out to put it in line with the other gears. I dig how easy yours is, mine is an example of overthinking :roll:
004-1.jpg

I just took it out for a night ride around the block and it is smoother than buttered diarrea. allthough I have a clunking noise in the coaster brake. on to the next issue I guess.

Latest posts

Back