J.C. Higgins Tank bike score...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a 80 minute round trip for this Higgins It is a craigslist score :D . I think it is from the late 50's . and it is in pretty good shape besides the tires. Tank is pretty awesome i like it . Another added to the corral ..LOL I can add more pics if you guys like not sure how these turn out on other computers. 8) Oh and i am not sure which seat it originaly came with i got two when i picked it up ..A white Wrights seat and the one thats on it ..
102_5359.jpg

102_5362.jpg

heyslugger said:
Its a pretty one. The fenders look like they are totally hugging those little tires. Do you have room to go with bigger tires on that one?
I have some room I am gonna try to go bigger. Thanks guys 8)

Those look like 26 x 1 3/8 wheels and tires. Those are usually seen on lightweight bikes. Someone may have wanted to go faster, and that would work, with the skinny tires. However, if they are 26 x 1 3/8, you can't go much wider, it's a larger diameter rim than a 26 x 1.75, which is what the bike probably came with, or maybe it came with 26 x 2.125.

That bike's paint looks great.

I tried the the 2.125 they where too big for the fenders . So i am guessing the 1.175 are what came with the bike back in the late 50's but now i have to change the rims any clue with what these came with for rims and hubs ????? Thanks again guys..

I believe Your bike came with white rims with red pin stripe with a Bendix Hub.
They where used on JC Higgins & some other Balloon bikes 26 x 2.125 Bikes & middle weights also 26 x 1.75..
I have a a minty pair of these wheels .. Im saving them for a rainy day ,,But for the right offer I might change my mind ... :D by the way nice bike ... :D
Heres a photo just so you know what they look like .I have done nothing to these rims as far as cleaning goes this is how they came off of the bike ! These do have Balloon tires on them .But Im fairly sure these are what you need But With middle weight tires .
DSC04618.jpg

Back