J.B. 40

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wicked cool! dude you got skills!

Thanks guys!! :D

I've made a little progress, but this is a work weekend for me so I haven't done as much as I would have wanted to... I've welded the frame, and just now I realize that I took no photo of it, hm you'll get to see it soon I promise. Then yesterday I started making the new shifter and...I forgot to scan the sketch...I must be losing it!! :roll: Ok, promise I'll post that soon as well!
Today I started on the forks, did some measuring, bent some tubes, welded this...:
gaffelrr4.jpg

...made these:
framhjulsfstemall.jpg

framhjulsfsten.jpg

Then I had to go to work. I hope to finish the forks tomorrow when I get home... :)

Galtbacken said:
Thanks guys!! :D

I've made a little progress, but this is a work weekend for me so I haven't done as much as I would have wanted to... I've welded the frame, and just now I realize that I took no photo of it, hm you'll get to see it soon I promise. Then yesterday I started making the new shifter and...I forgot to scan the sketch...I must be losing it!! :roll: Ok, promise I'll post that soon as well! Then I had to go to work. I hope to finish the forks tomorrow when I get home... :)
It's O.K. buddy, you can take a nap first. I'm worn out just watching! :)

wow looks cool! i like the idea for the templates. pretty smart! 8)

deorman said:
It's O.K. buddy, you can take a nap first. I'm worn out just watching! :)

Nap taken!! :lol: Soon I'm off from work and then I'll go home and build like a madman! :D

stretch said:
wow looks cool! i like the idea for the templates. pretty smart! 8)

I wish I could take credit for it, but I've probably seen someone do it like that and thought to myself "heeeey, that's pretty smart!!" :lol:

Hope to have more pics to show you in a few hours, stay tuned! :D

beepbeep, wroooooom!

Didn't quite finish the forks, but I'm happy with the progress anyway! :D

Here are the parts for the fork legs laid out:
framgaffel1.jpg

Each leg consists of four parts. The top part determines the with of the forks, the middle part is bent to get the right offset for the trail, the lower part is there to make a nice end to join with the fourth part which is the dropout.

Here's how I'll join the parts together (blurry pic, sorry):
framgaffel2.jpg

I've made plugs that are about 2 inches long (when I build I measure in mm and cm), with the same outer diameter as the fork tubes' inner diameter.

I leave a little gap for the weld (another blurry pic, sorry once more...):
framgaffel3.jpg

Here's the whole leg:
framgaffel4.jpg

I hope it'll be a strong enough construction. There will be trussrods also... :)

I promised to post pics of the shifter.
This is the sketch I made when I took the original one apart, in case I'd forget how to put it back together if needed :roll: :
vxelspaksskiss.jpg

Templates for the new shifter and side piece:
vxelspakmall.jpg

It'll be a long shifter, so to make it as light as I can I'm making it from aluminum:
vxelspak2.jpg

And that's all I've done with the shifter so far. More to come!

Here's the first sketch I've done for the headbadge:
headbadge1.jpg

I'm not sure I'll use that design, I think it might be a little bit too busy. I'll make a sketch of a simpler version and see if it comes out more to my liking. :)

That's all I have to show you today. Now I'll pretend it's wednesday and get some sleep. :D

Nevergrew said:
You are a machine dude !!!

I pretty much put everything else on hold for now, to finish this bike as soon as possible. Otherwhise I'd be draining myself completely to keep up this pace with the bike build... :)
Thank you, glad you like the bike so far! :D

Galtbacken said:
The top part determines the with of the forks...

I just want to correct myself: "with" was meant to be width. :roll:

Today I managed to do some more work on the forks before I had to go to work.
My fork jig is in the same simple style as my frame jig.
framgaffel5.jpg

The first mock up of the frame and forks! :D I'm happy that I managed to make the design of the bike to look rather low eventhough it's measured to suit my brother, who's a tall guy.
mockup1.jpg

Tomorrow I'll see if I can make the truss rods for the forks. I don't think it should be totally impossible... :)

This is amazing craftsmanship! I love the sketches and your approach to the design of the bike. Thanks for documenting every step along the way!

Nice work. Not only do you do excellent work welding and sewing, you are an amazing artist by looking at that shifter sketch. How are the cooking skills?

DesignIt: Thanks, glad you like it! You're very welcome, I hope that the documentation can give some inspiration and ideas! :)

cman: Thank you, you almost make me blush! I don't have to starve... :lol:

mudagoye: Oh no, I'm planning to do my best when it comes to painting the bike! Hope it'll turn out nice! I only know Olli from this forum. I owe him thanks, he's the one who made me aware that there's such a thing as trail. :) And thanks for the kind words!

TommyTwoTime said:
Sometimes I even feel guilty about it. :roll:

:lol:

I work at a home for people with mental handicaps, such as autism for example. It's not a physically tiring job but mentally it can be really exhausting. I often find myself planning what to build when I get home, or think about what to build next. :wink:

Thank you, glad you like the build!

Evening folks! :D

Some updates of todays progress!

I realized that I probably haven't shown any pictures of how I make parts I need from flat ironbars, so here's a little series of photos:

When I've made the cardboard template I draw it onto the iron bar. Because I don't have a big enough drill to make holes that size, I drill small holes inside the circle. The more accurate I try to be in this step, the less work I'll have to do later...
gaffelmoj1.jpg

Then I cut the drilled piece out with the Dremel.
gaffelmoj2.jpg

Next is some good old fashioned manual labour to make as close to a perfect circle as I can.
gaffelmoj3.jpg

When that's done I cut the whole piece out roughly with the angle grinder...
gaffelmoj4.jpg

...then smooth the edges with a flapdisc...
gaffelmoj5.jpg

...and get the rust off with a wirebrush...thing. Barabing baraboom! :)
gaffelmoj6.jpg

All in all that piece took a little over half an hour to make I guess. No fancy technique maybe, but it works for me. :D

Next was to bend and weld on a tube on the fork to hold the front brake:
bromsfste.jpg

When that was done I started making the trussrods. First I had to make the top part, the one that attattches to the little piece I made earlier. It's simply a threaded rod with a little tube welded onto it.
gaffelsttteskruv1.jpg

And here they are joined together in peace and harmony...
gaffelsttteskruv2.jpg

A while later, after having bent the two thin tubes over my knee, and grinded the ends to make them fit and a bit of welding, this is what I got:
framgaffel6.jpg

That's all for today! Hope to do some more progress tomorrow! :)

Wow! do they have holesaws in Sweden :lol: jus kiddin. Hey I know what you mean about the mentally exhausting stuff. In martial arts we have many children with special needs ie: ADD, AdHD, autism and other learning disabilities. I started working with some of these kids and its very rewarding stuff, but can be very stressful sometimes. That is where I spend alot of my evenings after work. Keep up the nice work your doing.

TommyTwoTime said:
Wow! do they have holesaws in Sweden :lol: jus kiddin.

Yepp, they do...but I don't!! :lol: hm, might be a good idea to buy one...or two... :roll:

TommyTwoTime said:
Hey I know what you mean about the mentally exhausting stuff. In martial arts we have many children with special needs ie: ADD, AdHD, autism and other learning disabilities. I started working with some of these kids and its very rewarding stuff, but can be very stressful sometimes. That is where I spend alot of my evenings after work. Keep up the nice work your doing.

I can imagine that martial arts can be helpful to many of these kids, giving them a safe environment with good structure on what's expexted from them on given occasions, and behavioral guidelines. It sure can be very rewarding, as you say, and veeery frustrating when you can't find a way to solve their "riddle".

Thanks for your kind words! :D

Jeffrey: Yeah, right now I'm trying to finish this bike for my brother's birthday so the rrbbo-bike will have to wait until this one's done...or maybe I'll make yet another bike after this one and THEN do the rrbbo...we'll see! :wink:
Welding is fun!! I'm new to it and just try to learn by doing. I bought a really cheap used welder, did some research on the principles and gave it a go! I'm thinking of maybe taking a welding course sometime too, to learn more. Bracing looks fun too, and braced joints are smooth looking! I want to learn that as well sometime. :) Glad you like the build so far, and the documentation...here's some more! :D

This is what I did yesterday:

I almost forgot about this little fellow! :eek: It's a tiny little thing that works as a stop at the end of the brake cable, I belive "housing stop" may be the name for it. (I look up so many english words for bike parts that I soon know more english bike terms than swedish!! :lol: )
framvajerstopp1.jpg

So, next was to make a piece to hold my new found friend. this is what I came up with:
framvajerstopp2.jpg

Then I clamped it onto a piece of wood and gave it a few good wacks with a hammer,and some grinding to make the ends fit the tubes, resulting in this:
framvajerstopp3.jpg

Here's where it goes (and there's what's left of the donor bike in the background):
framvajerstopp4.jpg

Finished forks! I also welded on a short little tube at the top of the truss rods to run the break cable through, thought that would be nice.
framgaffel7.jpg

Today I'll buy a mdf-board to make a mold for the fiber-glass fenders. We'll see what more I'll do today...start on the carrier maybe. Don't know what I'll have time for because tonight me and my dad are going to see some speedway!!! :D Here's the team we're supporting http://www.valsarna.nu/

I'll be back with updates soon, take care everybody! :)

Back