"It's Lonely at the Top" or "Everyone Looks Up to Me" w/ vid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMAG1009.jpg

IMAG1011.jpg

I missed having a tall bike, since that is what originally got this fire burning in me, so I decided to take a couple mountain bikes that I had been saving for the swap meet and build a new one.

The first go around had a few issues. The first was the seat being directly above the rear axle causing it to try and flip every time I rode. To solve that I replaced the 26" front wheel with an 18".

The second problem arose while I was test riding it in the new wheel.I guess my angles were off on one of my tubes I welded in because as I rode up into my yard the bump caused the rear of the top frame to drop in turn snapping the lower steer tube. But the failure was like a plane landing- nice and smooth, I didn't have to bail off, just put my feet down and stepped off. After some rework and a new set of bars I got it right. Rode 4+ miles around town and got lots of smiles, thumbs up, and horn honks.

Current height to the top of the bars is just over 8'
IMAG1012.jpg

Re: "It's Lonely at the Top" or "Everyone Looks Up to Me"

expjawa said:
Can someone explain to me exactly how you get up and rolling with something like this?

Until I get a peg for the back wheel I have to get in the back of my truck to mount it. Once I get the peg on the back I can get it rolling and shimmy up to the top.

Um, brakes?????????

Eclipse said:
Make a video of you getting on it and getting off it. I'd like to see that. Even if you don't have pegs.

I will have my garage monkey daughter take some video in the morning.

I want to see ya ride it! You ain't gettin me on there though! I'm scared of heights! :lol:

i've spent most of my life trying to lower things. now you go and post this. my mind is reeling. :mrgreen:

it looks like fun! I have never ridden a tall bike, but I get a kick out of them every time I see them. I may have to piece one together.

udallcustombikes said:
JoKeR63 said:
Um, brakes?????????

Nope, the bike isn't fast and if I need to stop I just hop off.
So I guess you can't just slam on the coaster brake, and sling a mean 8' high brodie. Looks like fun anyway. :wink:

JWM

Back