ISO 597 vs ISO 599

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I recently purchased an old rollfast lightweight off of the cabe and am having a problem getting 26x1.375 tires that are within budget. The front tire that was on was 26x1.25 so i did a bit of research and the iso on the 1.25 is 597 where the 1.375 is 599.

2mm is quite small and i am hoping with a little elbow grease i can stretch one over the goal line

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-Str...ords=26+x+1.25

Do you think it will work?

2mm is definitely a possibility, but i don't envy you. Have you made sure that the rims are definitely 599s? I've read about 599 tires/rims online, but i don't believe i've ever seen one. 597, on the other hand, is fairly common. In either case, you might want to find wider (ie, 1 3/8") 597s because it's been my experience that those are easier to stretch over a tight rim than skinnier rubber is.... but that may all be in my head. Regardless, if your frame will fit a "s6" 26x1 3/8", there are a lot of tires available in that size for cheap that probably rate more than 2 stars on Amazon....

Thanks 808

I was thinking of replacing the rims, and i have a comparable 3 speed 1957 sturmy set up which is a true 26x1 3/8 and would fit perfectly, but i really wanted to keep this as orig as possible.

A very good question about measuring. I didnt, and took the previous tires as accurate. Like i mentioned above, the front was 26x1.25 and the back 26x1.375. To get the back off i had to cut it off with a mat knife and metal snips! I'm going to give them a measure sometime this week.

I bought those tires for $20+shipping. Worse thing that happens is I am out $30. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Could someone explain in a nutshell this "ISO" stuff as it pertains to bike tires? I've never heard of it in bike terms prior to getting on the forum. I am familiar with "ISO 9001" but that's a completely different ball game...

Wow, I've only seen that size once, about 30 years ago, and I've been wondering if I just imagined it ever since. Pre-internet days, we scrounged a used 26x1 3/8 wheel...

FWIW it was on a bike a customer purchased in postwar England branded as a 'Londoner'. It was made in Germany, but I'm guessing at that time a bike branded as a 'Berliner' might not have been a big seller! :D

Keep in mind with a diameter of 599, the circumference is 1881.814, while the 597 has a circumference of 1875.531.

where did they find this info? i thought the 599 and 597 was the mm circum?

ISO is a much-needed push for ppl to stop using stupid designations for tires and start using the tire's actual measurement, in mm b/c even though i was born and raised in the USA, the metric system is awesome and SAE/imperial/US Customary Measurement/etc is really goofy. So, ISO would set up an Internationally recognized Standard. That way, you won't use goofy terms like 26x1 3/8", EA3 or s6 or 650a which all roughly mean 26x1 3/8" but also refer to tires that measure out to different sizes.

So, yeah, nutshell: ISO will use the ACTUAL measurement in MM (eg, 37-590) rather than goofy traditional names that, even when they are expressed in units of measurement, mean nothing at all.....

ISO is a much-needed push for ppl to stop using stupid designations for tires and start using the tire's actual measurement, in mm b/c even though i was born and raised in the USA, the metric system is awesome and SAE/imperial/US Customary Measurement/etc is really goofy. So, ISO would set up an Internationally recognized Standard. That way, you won't use goofy terms like 26x1 3/8", EA3 or s6 or 650a which all roughly mean 26x1 3/8" but also refer to tires that measure out to different sizes.

So, yeah, nutshell: ISO will use the ACTUAL measurement in MM (eg, 37-590) rather than goofy traditional names that, even when they are expressed in units of measurement, mean nothing at all.....
:thumbsup:

Luke.

they said it couldnt be done ... well "they" really didnt say tht... but it worked perfectly.

I was able to put the tire on JUST using my hands, no levers, i was then able to take it off using just my hands, no levers, but was tougher.

Then i put a tube in with the tire and it was definitely tougher, but again all i used was my bare hands! I inflated and bounced it on the ground and it bounced right back up.

now i just need to clean up tht rusty rim!
smile.png

Back