Is this worth it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the badge off and there is nice original ivory paint underneath... What do you guys think is the best way to get the blue off? Paint stripper, Steel wool, paint thinner?

Paint stripper will kill everything. The success of taking it back to the original paint depends on the type of paint that it is. Some people have had amazing results with EZ-off over cleaner. It seems to be about 50/50. I don't know which type comes off best, be it lacquer, enamel, latex, acrylic, etc. Goof off works to a degree for stubborn stuff but will take original paint too. Same with steel wool. Heat guns can also help loosen or even bubble certain types of paint without hurting the original finish.

I'd try the oven cleaner first. It attacks original stuff the least in my experience.

Tried the oven cleaner... works nicely on the ivory, took it down to the bare metal on the burgundy. Kind of looks cool this way, but I'm not much into non original paint bikes. I think I might be parting this out and saving a few parts that I may need.

Back