is this not "Ratty" enough for RatRodBikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it got deleted from the facebook group without explanation. in spite of the fact it is not a fixie or MTB.

Mind you it's a work in progress, and will look much more handsome as time moves on. but I barely got the thing rolling.

579347_590557601016345_1835568362_n.jpg

It has a rear rotor now, once I install the flat bars and vans grips I will post better pics.

I get that it's not some restored cruiser, nor is it a pile of incorrectly welded Hi-ten. But if you actually know bikes you might like it for what it is.

It starts with a Surly Straggler, a high quality roadish, commutery sort of frame. built to survive the apocalypse, and with a horizontal top tube. like any classic steel road bike should have. like any classic straight tube bike should have. on to that frame go some Shimano CX-77 road mechanicals. nothing custom there, other than the fact that I installed them, but they definitely lend to a hot rod aesthetic. the wheels are just some cheapo pricepoint specials, for now. but the crank is an american made, steel, Profile 3 piece with an imperial chainring. a set up I've seen on more than a few bikes here.

I also tucked the tail light up under the seat for a REALLY clean look.
She's also going to have many more classic elements added as money permits.

This, in my mind. definitely keeps the spirit of old school hot rodding. I built it myself, I built it too look good. I don't really think it's fair to dismiss this bike simply because it's comfortable, fast and responsive and uses high end componentry.

thoughts?

PS. I've got some decals on order that my printer has STILL not produced for me...

601159_570998402972265_1556810456_n.jpg

I rendered them myself, Marco Mazzoni is just a wild artist. I'm hoping they go well on that black frame.

If you know anyone else who can die cut printed decals out of waterproof UV stable media, let me know. I'm giving my printer a few more days and then I am finding someone else.

There aren't any rules for what types of bikes are or are not allowed here. If the bike got deleted from something somewhere (I don't have facebook so I'm not sure what kind of group you are referring to) I am quite sure it was not due to someone on this site dismissing it or viewing it in any negative manner. People post piles of rust as well as 100% restos here, and I've seen hundreds of bikes on here set up exactly like yours, many that even look almost identical to it, so... yeah, you're cool to post it here. I can't really speak for facebook.

Cool cool, There is only so much one can do with a black, diamond frame. So I'm aware this thing doesn't win many unique points. but I own no car, and can only afford to own one bike. so the bike that has to get me all over the county has to also be my pretty bike. maybe someday I can sit down and build a work of art like some of the builds I see on here, but for now I hope people can appreciate it when someone tries.

Besides, it's a really GOOD bike. with some really pretty bits on it. I didn't fab anything. but I hope that counts for something!

Ozz is right, pretty sure there is a mix-up somewhere there, the bike is more than worthy to be a part of the site! What is more I would love to ride it and be proud to own it, congrats on a great build and I hope you post it again when it is done!

Luke.

Their loss is our gain! Sweet Bike, now I want to build a straight tube frame!
Love the disc brakes!

Some group that is very large implied they were associated with this site. though to be honest I found most of their members less than impressive.

And thanks for the kind words guys! Right now I am off to see if I can get into my shop on a sunday (My shop is a non-profit inside a community center, I have the keys to it, but not the building!) to install some gears and flats!

1557439_597663280305777_1619273020_n.jpg

1536616_597663343639104_1147324270_n.jpg

1557489_597663393639099_1501967885_n.jpg

1150186_597663496972422_1860634504_n.jpg

I really want to thank everyone for the positive feedback, While it clearly doesn't have the craft or style of some of the more impressive builds on this site, I really did want to keep my daily driver in that hot rod aesthetic.

Right now... I'm left wondering what I should do with it next, I'm trying to find a new printer for my decals, I gave the guy 2 months to do a 20 minute job. so he's fired.

I feel like I should add some chrome, not sure.

I personally think chrome might make it too much like every other bike. Plus the colors of your decals and the colors you have incorporated involve tones which seem to look dirty around chrome (black being the exception). But I could be 100% wrong. You might add chrome and be very pleased with the results. The good thing (while sometimes annoying) is that anything is possible with bikes. That's a lot of the reason many of us choose to do this.

I hear what you're saying on the chrome. and once I have the funds I will be putting this saddle on it!

DSCF0626.jpg

Outside outfitters has them for 23 bucks. heck of a good price for the build quality of these saddles!

Synthetic, and the tone is really close to my tires!

As far as I know, your photo wasn't deleted off of the RRB FB page. I typically never delete any follower submitted images unless they are offensive.

Not sure how long ago you posted it, but no matter who posts a photo on the page, it doesn't show up in the normal list of items that I post every day. That's just the way FB pages normally work. The owner's posts show up in the main feed and then any followers that post images or comments have their's displayed in the "Recent Posts by Others" section.

As far as I know, your photo wasn't deleted off of the RRB FB page. I typically never delete any follower submitted images unless they are offensive.

Not sure how long ago you posted it, but no matter who posts a photo on the page, it doesn't show up in the normal list of items that I post every day. That's just the way FB pages normally work. The owner's posts show up in the main feed and then any followers that post images or comments have their's displayed in the "Recent Posts by Others" section.
No, no worries. it was just some page that implied they were related. they actually weren't

Back