Is this bike worth it....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I posted in the intro and now I have my first question here. I have a chance to pick this bike up and I was wondering if you think it is worth $75? Im new to this rat bike stuff so please take it easy, lol. Here is the link to the bike...... https://vermont.craigslist.org/bik/5765664391.html
Please let me know what you think, and thank you.

00y0y_laVsB0erTsn_600x450.jpg

Jamis bikes have quite a following here. I have not owned one though. Looks like a fine starting point for a build. :thumbsup:

I'd go get that bike at $75.
As a first project with plenty of style and nice parts assortment, you won't be breaking the bank and you can jump right in to a new pastime for little dough.
The direction you take your build is wide open.
FYI, a lot of parts are adaptable or interchangable with many decades of bikes. It also seems many rat bikes are often never done. As they evolve you'll keep the extra parts handy and soon be on your way to your second project...??!!
This is how it all begins....
Welcome to RRB!:cool2:

Looks like it already has a 3-pc crank conversion and a grown-up-can-ride-it seatpost. If the frame and wheels don't look bent, I'd say yes.
Agree, if everything is in good nik it's a good price and great start.

Definitely.

I want to thank everyone for posting about getting the bike. I did end up getting it and it was well worth it. Its in great shape and he also threw in a couple free goodies to boot. I can see why you guys like these old cruisers so much, it rides better then my Kona mountain bike, lol. Here is the link to my pics of the bike with the goody pics and with them on the bike, but just for a temp pic, I think I have something good for my first build, BUT, it might take me some time as we are in the process pd closing on a house and I cant start anything yet. But here is the link, let me know what you think. Thanks....... http://s216.photobucket.com/user/jdinvt/library/Jamis cruiser?sort=3&src=wap&page=1

Congrats on the low-buck purchase.
It seems that you've got a head start on collecting parts for your second build as well.
I'm glad you scored this bike, it's always nice to have at least one springer fork in the stable.:thumbsup:
I look forward to seeing where you take it.

Hi everyone, I posted in the intro and now I have my first question here. I have a chance to pick this bike up and I was wondering if you think it is worth $75? Im new to this rat bike stuff so please take it easy, lol. Here is the link to the bike...... https://vermont.craigslist.org/bik/5765664391.html
Please let me know what you think, and thank you.
I Always wonder WHY questions like this are asked ? If I walk away I never get a second chance to buy an item! It's Gone...

Thanks again everyone, this should be a great, fun adventure. I do have one other question tho if I could have someone chime in on this...... do you guys ever cut bikes up like this, or even some of the older somewhat rare ones? I would hate to just get carried away and cut something up that might be worth a little bit, thats all. There MUST be a line somewhere, or am I wrong. Thanks again, cant wait to get started.

It's not that old and it's mass produced and, truthfully, even most good bikes aren't worth much. I go by doing whatever I want as long as it's not rare, high end, or really old. As a "do as I recommend, not as I do" from a guy who tends to push personal limits on several things and teach myself several more all on a single build, getting into cutting something up might be a big jump for a first project.

I really like earth cruisers, but what I like about them is all gone from that one. The straight bmx fork, bmx stem, and the handlebars.
Are those brake posts on the frame? I don't remember seeing an earth cruiser with post mount brakes.

I really like earth cruisers, but what I like about them is all gone from that one. The straight bmx fork, bmx stem, and the handlebars.
Are those brake posts on the frame? I don't remember seeing an earth cruiser with post mount brakes.
On the back? They are, has me a little baffled too. And not just that, but on the top tube, top side seemed like there were the cable loops for the rear cable bit they were cut off. Not really sure WHAT to think now, but still pretty cool I guess for my first project bike.

Back