Is this a Raleigh?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This bike was found on Kijiji last week and the guy was nice enough to drop it off for me on way through town.

It is a true barn find and was found along with a nice 61 Caddy rear bumper which I considered, but passed on.
The guy builds rat rod cars and I agreed that the bumper would be better off on a car than behind a bar. We have a nearby bar called the Cadillac Lounge, but they have enough Caddy stuff already.https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...=dEftyNeHY9lOhecrPF2LlQ&bvm=bv.66330100,d.aWw
img_9674.png

Anyway back to the bike.
A friend pulled an identical but less complete bike out of a barn a couple of months ago, but it was spoken for by the time I saw it. I done never seen a fork like these in person, so it immediately caught my eye.
I rubbed this old buzzard down with steel wool and a little oil, repacked the head tube bearings and oiled up the saddle a bit too.
The tires (South African Dunlops) that were on it were toast and the odd sized 26X2X1 3/4, so I used another wheel set and some Specialized tires that I had around that fit the forks. I love when a plan comes together.
The cool stand came from another freebie girls flipper that I got a couple weeks ago.
I'll have to change to a narrower inner axle nut so I can refit one of the rear fender braces.
The chain on this bike is a monster size and I will work on it a little too when I redo the bottom bracket.
Any and all information about this bike is welcomed and appreciated.

Not a Raleigh. Humber used the double tube forks. But the double top tube is more common in India, China, other south Asia countries where they use bicycles to haul hundreds of pounds of cargo. It could be any of scores of brands from those countries.

Thanks Rick, I'll direct my research in that direction.
The saddle is stamped Raleigh so that was my first reference point.
I live a couple miles from the Humber River in Toronto where it runs into Lake Ontario.

Yep, that looks about right.
I found that they're making replicas now and they're very popular in Africa.
As I mentioned this bike was equipped with S.A. Dunlop rubber.
I don't see evidence of rod brakes on mine and the chainring doesn't appear to be original style unfortunately. Those are a pretty nice design.
Here's a good reference site I came across for chainring I.D.s
http://bikecult.com/works/chainwheel.html

humber-chainring.jpg

Last edited:
Back