Is it too early to start thinking about the MBBO?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I got my new project base in today. So I started some brainstorming. I could do the project for the BOTEN, but I don't think a muscle bike will do very well against the unbridled creativity I've seen over the past few years in the big build off. Maybe I'll throw my hat in. Maybe.

Anyway... I've got a 26" frame I want to use a Flaming Stack on. But a 24" stack is just too short. So I'm thinking of finding a derelict flaming stack and combining it with this shorty stack I have to make one long stack.

My question: Do you think 4 rows of stack slots will work, or will they look too short on this longer guard, and I should try to add a 5th stack?

z6jYOm.jpg

JfvwoD.jpg

No one said you couldn't start gathering parts. My MBBO project is a 24" 1968 Sears Spyder. :thumbsup: I've brain stormed it and have started gathering parts.
Long stack looks better.

I think the long stack with four rows of holes would look good, reminds me of 70s era sidepipes, those are more solid at front, then the baffle / covers section.
2670-11315395752-1.JPG

Does anyone have a derelict flaming stack? Size doesn't matter and chrome doesn't matter. I'd like it to not be mangled, but if it needs some work in the back, that's fine. The nose can be munched though. ;)

I think four rows look just fine on a larger bike.
aIMG_8214.jpg

And by the way, I think you should definitely do a BOTEN build. I don't think there is much question that your builds are top notch and can hold their own with just about anything other RRBers put out there. I love the idea of the stretch stack too.

I appreciate that sentiment, but I really feel unworthy against the last couple year's top builds. Those have been exceptionally artistic and creative. All I do is restore, and sometimes a slight mod. Nothing creative in it, really.

I'll have to find out BOTEN's dates and see if I could even strap on a build during that time. The MBBO dates have always been favorable to my schedule, especially when I need the extra time at the end and I've got a Christmas break to work on it.

But check this out. I stripped the bike and compared the frames.

I was right! The 24" Super Stock is almost identical to the 26" frame! I'll need to do something about the seat stay brace, and patch a couple holes, but other than that I think I'll be golden as far as the frame is concerned!

97FaNb.jpg

Should be cool. That frame will be great. I say a 26 inch Rail is pretty creative and not just a resto. Great build for MBBO or BOTEN.

great comparison shot of the frames.. will file that away for reference... now you just need a rail frame in there. :)

I have a pretty rough 26" frame I have been kicking around cutting down to rail size for a few years, but since I don't have an actual rail frame to compare / measure.... thought it would be a cheap way to build a 'rider-rail'

The only Rail frame I have is built up on my Judge. But I can tell you from visual comparison that the Rail is a comparatively longer frame than these two. Meanining, if you were to "grow" a Rail frame up to 24" or 26" size, the head tube would be several inches farther out from what they are. I'll set the 26" up next to the Rail just to see the difference.

That's not missing the back have. It is the safety version. They didn't want the kids to cut off their fingers....lol So they cut off that back part.
Someone else told me the same story about the flaming stack short version.. What do you think Jaxon?
image.jpg
The end is jagged and has Rust on the edge, the other edges are shiny chrome... I thought some where along the line it had got bent. I thought it looked like someone bent it back and forth until it split and broke off?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
great comparison shot of the frames.. will file that away for reference... now you just need a rail frame in there. :)
Best I can do it put this frame in front of my Rail. You can see the shape of the Rail only makes it a couple inches shorter, even though its quite a bit shorter. Bottom line, a Super Stock frame is not a 24" Rail frame. I think the length of the front triangle of a Rail is unique.

xbpPPD.jpg

Back