Is It Really Cheaper?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha Ha...I actually heard that fact a few years ago so I guess things have changed a bit. :oops:

But you're right...it's just one of those topics that isn't going to go anywhere and it ends up getting people all heated up.

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer with 140k mikes on it...few problems....cars 20 yrs ago couldnt go 100k mikes without a plug change

My daily driver is a 1964 Ford Fairlane, when I bought it I replaced the original belts and hoses and, and I drive it summer and winter, rain or shine and get decent mileage while I do it, I'd like to see a car made in the current "disposable age" last like it has.

IMG_0008.jpg

I prefer my low tech classics to my later model computer controlled vehicles. My 49 Dodge truck sat from 1974 to 1994, was running in 94 after 3 days of dripping ATF through the spark plug holes. My 85 Celica GT-S holed its timing cover and never ran again. Even after a full overhaul. My 69 Dodge truck sits for weeks at a time, fires as soon as a little gas is poured into the carb. 1972 Super Beetle with 1968 engine has sat since 2005, cranked over last night with a portable booster pack.

My work truck, a 2005 Freightliner Columbia, is a world market conglomerate. Mercedes engine (gutless), mostly Mercedes accessories (Brazil), have to use Mercedes fuel/oil filters (Germany), Mexico cab and chassis, Mexico glass, USA everything else. Works fine. Can't say the same for ANY of the 8 Ford designed, Mercedes powered, Freightliner assembled Sterlings...

I buy as little as I can from Chinese manufacturers, be they mainland or Taiwanese based. I buy North American, European or Japanese. In that order, except for motorcycles, we have 1996 and 98 Suzuki cruisers, 1963 and 71 Honda Scramblers, wouldn't have another Triumph or BMW if it was free with lifetime free tires and gas. Won't own a Harley made after 1964 for daily use.

I have 4 American made bicycles. 3 Schwinns (one is a pre-war Henderson) and a Firestone. I've had a couple cheap imported mountain bikes, one Schwinn labeled that broke in half.

I used to be a rock and ice climber when I was younger. Stopped that when I started seeing Made in China/Taiwan on climbing gear. I spent a day at REI testing carabiners, could not find one locking unit that fully tightened. Then I got into thew container freight business... ended up in the E.R. after being poisoned by methyl bromide gas in a load of illegal plexiglass (came in labeled as plastic bags, plexiglass sold stateside is supposed to be of USA or Canadian manufacture, only). Refused to touch any import loads other than those originating in western Europe after that. I'd haul export loads all day long, spent 2 years hauling nothing but exports.

There are plenty of manufacturing and service jobs here stateside. And the pay isn't bad. IF you are willing to live within your means. I "only" make $15 an hour (wage quality depends on where you live, that rate is poverty in Seattle, near royalty here in Memphis). May not always have spending cash readily to hand, but I do have an IRA and a savings account that both get deposits every paycheck.

i think lawyers and insurance companies have alot to do with the problem. i bet half our members would have their own bikeshop if it wasnt for the cost of liability insurance, which you gotta have to protect you from the moron that hurts himself on your product then sues you, as if its your fault he did something stupid. im not trying to dump gas on a fire, my mom works at a law office, just tryin to find a solution like everyone else.

Rat Rod said:
I've owned roughly 35 cars over the past 24 years .......

........ I'm not sure I'm buying the idea that an old 70s Ford truck is better than a 2011 Ford truck.

That is alot of cars. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am at 8 including the wife's cars.

I owned a 1977 F250 and now own a 2006 F150. The F250 was great and built like a tank. It excelled in all things tough, but I learned all things tough cost money(repairs). The new F150 serves me well for towing the boat and RV, trips to the ski hill and everything else with lots of safety and comfort.

My experience with car problems has been primarily with the dealerships. My Ford, Dodge, and Chevy, Honda. All ran great for many years(minius regular maintenance). But when I took them into some of the dealerships, I received horrible service from some and great service from other. My only vehicle that i will never own again for that reaseon is the Dodge, never ever received good service from them(took it to 6 differend dealership, but not the one I bought it from). The Honda was a little shady when i got a trans flush, they didnot tighten the drain plug and I lost about a half a quart over 3 weeks. The fist Chevy dealership took my wifes truck too tried to charge me a towing fee for a bad security relay they took out and replaced, but the second was great(had something to do with the wifes company doing all their business there too). And the Ford, neve had a problem witha a Ford dealership at all, have owned them since I was 16 and my dad 30 years before that. As stated earlier, it all has to do with greed, yours, mine and theres.

Dealership Service Centers = Satan Incarnate :lol: :lol: :lol:

I learned a long time ago to never set foot in the places.

Find you a good Mom & Pop service shop close by with a good reputation then you've found gold. :wink:

Just like car dealerships, bike shops can all be different.. My local shop is less than 2 miles away. I try to buy as much as I can there, but I keep finding it more difficult to deal with them.. The owner said to me"why dont you just buy new bikes instead of fixing old junk" mind you I have bought some really cool used parts there, including a springer fork for$20. I have been finding good deals on bikes and fixing them up and selling them to friends and neighbors for cost. I even told him that, he said It was a waste of time. I think it is wasteful to scrap a bike because it has a few minor problems...THat owner just doesnt get it..its about getting people on bikes, they might not by a $1000 shiny new bike, but they may need alot of little parts and maybe even some service... its very short-sighted of him. I have another shop about 15 miles away that I prefer go to whenever practical..

That's how I roll, my VW is serviced by a VW-only father/son owner garage (both ex-VW servicemen).
their advice alone has saved me big $$$$$.

Rat Rod said:
Dealership Service Centers = Satan Incarnate :lol: :lol: :lol:

I learned a long time ago to never set foot in the places.

Find you a good Mom & Pop service shop close by with a good reputation then you've found gold. :wink:

My dad had an original Green 1974 Ford F-150 SuperCab up until 2000-2001 when someone stole it, the only problem we had with it was the transmission the entire time we had it which was a very long time than compared to the new cars we had within the last ten years that we had to get rid of.

I also have a friend that has never had a modern car in his entire life including one of his currant cars a 1957 Plymouth Fury and they all have always ran with routine maintenance and only parts replacement due to normal wear over the decades.

I think it still comes down to personal preference.

You couldn't pay me enough to drive in rush hour traffic every day in anything made in the 1970s. :lol:

I'd prefer to have my butt parked in one of these while I'm stuck in gridlock for an hour each way.

Leather seats, ice cold A/C, sweet sound system and plenty of power to open it up once they clear the wreck ahead. :mrgreen:

2011-ford-f150-harley.jpg

I was thinking of all the crazy drivers in giant SUVs and Pickups here. :lol:

My commute is 30 miles one way through the heart of the Dallas traffic. :cry:

He lives in California and owns & works at his automotive classic car dismantler outside half of the day, his cars have ice cold ac with real big comfortable seats.

We have a car only a few years old and the ac doesn't work.

Isn't taking the hot weather a part of riding bicycles and yet you can't take it in a car :lol: , I thought everyone here were tougher than that.

My 94 Ranger (2.3L 4 banger and 5 spd) left me stranded under the poplar tree in the front yard today. I've poured over $500 into the truck in the past month due to sensor/ICM glitches, split battery, failed power steering pump (fresh one leaks too)... 182K miles and change, it's junk, looks great but not at all reliable. Drove my wife's beat to pieces 95 Outback (Legacy with 15" wheels and ugly trim to the uninitiated) with 213K miles and change. Needs struts and an oxygen sensor, but ran fine.

Main relay for my 98 Suzuki Savage custom is $61 plus shipping and fondling. I can fix my 63 Honda CL72 Scrambler for under $20, including unsticking the carbs (they sit, they stick, mechanical slides instead of fail prone vacuum ones).

Wiring harness replacement for either of my Dodges is $125 plus shipping.

1949 truck has 338K miles on it, all but 200 of which were put on before 1974. I drove it for 6 weeks in 1994 on 1974 plates, 1960s tires and battery. Never even flushed the fuel tank or radiator.

I do not "do" modern. My wife set a Facebook page up for me last month, I've looked at it twice. After SHE had to sign me in. My house is 10 years older than I am, the main house here is 170 years old (still has carbide lighting plumbing and the fixtures are in the attic, tank is under the greenhouse).

Oh, fuel economy argument doesn't wash either... Ranger gets 26, Outback got almost 40 moving back here (same size engine and a slushomatic). 69 Dodges gets 8-12 right now, with a tune up gets 16-22. 49 averaged 22mpg, without a tune up, good tires, fresh fluids, etc.

kngtmat said:
He lives in California and owns & works at his automotive classic car dismantler outside half of the day, his cars have ice cold ac with real big comfortable seats.

We have a car only a few years old and the ac doesn't work.

Isn't taking the hot weather a part of riding bicycles and yet you can't take it in a car :lol: , I thought everyone here were tougher than that.

Ha...I'm a wuss...ain't no pride here brother...I need it nice and cold. :lol:

We're on day 58 of temperatures over the 100 degree mark here in North Texas...driving a car here without AC in rush hour traffic causes a person to spontaneously combust. :lol:

I'm confused Scruffy....if you don't do modern, how did you make it to this website? :lol:

Just yanking your chain....

Yall are right, all new cars evil and we should be driving 1970s and older cars. :wink:

Back