Irn-Bru - my first build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After bemoaning the fact that we don't have many canti frames across here. I couldn't pass up the opportunity of buying one on ebay when it came up for auction. :mrgreen:

What i got in the post was this
3804924923_fe65802685.jpg

No, no... not the lovely pink one at the back. The cream and blue frame in front. The rear wheel was bend in two planes but the front one is still useable. All the spokes were rusty and had to be cut through. But hey this is meant to be a learning experience right? So I'm going to learn how to lace wheels on this build too.

The inspiration? well having seen a few Cola branded cruisers out there, I thought I'd spin this bike with a Scottish flavor.
irn-bru.gif

Scotland's very own fizzy caffeinated hangover cure in a can.

Oh and did I mention it's a 24" frame? I thought I was buying a 26" bike and was a bit surprised when I pulled it out of the box. So this could well be the world's first Scottish fizzy drink branded muscle bike. :lol:

Ah...but a 24" frame with 26" Wheels makes for a righteous bike. In my case you have to put the rear wheel on the frame with the tire flat, but its a small inconvenience. Good luck on the build!

Fleetthreespeed.jpg

hmmm....
this could be a pretty cool bike.
what it really needs is a 60s/70s fork and it'll be a smooth cruiser.

older 24'' bikes are kinda hard to come by, but i have a couple connections.
maybe we can make a trade for a six-pack of that hangover helper :D

Gold Street Customs said:
Nice start, sorry it turned out to be a 24 ...but oh the fat tire choices you have 8)
Cheers, I'm not too bothered. I'm still enjoying the build. In a way it's more of a challenge so more enjoyable. If it had been a 26" I think I would have just given it a re-spray and that kind of thing. This way I've had to think a bit more about what I'm going to do, and how I'm going to make things work.
As far as fat tyres go I was hoping to squeeze an Electra Fatti-O in the back.

Floyd said:
Ah...but a 24" frame with 26" Wheels makes for a righteous bike. In my case you have to put the rear wheel on the frame with the tire flat, but its a small inconvenience. Good luck on the build!
Cheers also. Did you have to cut and weld the frame at all to fit the 26" wheels in there? And is the fork a 24" or 26"? To get the Fatti-O to fit I was imagining I'd have to cut the top seat stay brace and move it higher. I'd really like to hear what you did.

beatcad said:
hmmm....
this could be a pretty cool bike.
what it really needs is a 60s/70s fork and it'll be a smooth cruiser.

older 24'' bikes are kinda hard to come by, but i have a couple connections.
maybe we can make a trade for a six-pack of that hangover helper
Are you suggesting we can trade a 60/70s fork for some fizzy pop? If you are then sure I'd be interested. It would have to be the US bru'd stuff 'cause the drink that's "Made in Scotland, fae girders" is illegal in the US apparently.

So I've been saving up for parts and working hard on my proper job. This has been on the back burner. However, I've finally got all the parts I needed and the motivation that comes with financial reward has kicked in and the build is back on.

So some updated picks:
3860230098_a2149a517c.jpg

I was in my local bike recycling place and found the above F&S Torpedo Hub for £1 (that's $1.60) :D
I painted the wheels and built them up. Second time round I managed to get it right. After going out for a ride on an old Schwinn I had purchased, a mate of mine saw the ape hanger handle bars and wanted to buy the bike. I declined but told him he'd be welcome to buy the bike I was building. Anyway, that got me onto building it up again in primer to see how it would ride. I managed to salvage the forks which I thought I'd messed up with the over use of a hammer. But here it is in a rideable state.
4006007678_0106c613c3.jpg

Well it was once I added a seatpost clamp and bolted the banana seat on properly.
So nice to ride. And I'm glad cause I wouldn't want to sell a dud.
More soon I hope.

Cheers Jonnie

Re: Wee Yellow Taxi - my first build

Well I finally got the bike finished. The theme got thrown out the window as my mate wanted to go for a 70s taxi theme.
4609924708_fc84b21bb7_o.jpg

He managed to get a few weeks riding on it before jetting off to New Zealand for a couple of months. Rides real nice and I'm chuffed with the look.

Cheers Jonnie

Good call on the grips. I'll give that a go.

The checker is done by cutting up some tape I bought on flea bay for a couple of pounds. The off cuts my daughter used to customise her bike. :)

Cheers Jonnie

Back