Interesting Hercules, curious on year

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone can tell me more information on this Hercules bicycle? The history of them and information I've been trying to find is a bit confusing. I think it is a Raleigh frame? Any help is appreciated.

$_27.JPG
$_27 (1).JPG

Show us the rear dropouts; we can tell right away if it's Nottingham-built (Raleigh) or not. And definitely let us see what's up with the crankset...Almost looks like it might be a fauber?

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the pic, but are those fauber cranks? They look to be on the DS, but the NDS pic makes me think maybe not....

I don't believe the frame is Raleigh-built. I'd say it's gotta be earlier than 1960, which is when Raleigh took over BCC (which included Hercules.) Apparently, There were Hercules-badged bikes sold by a midwestern dept store WBITD... I'd be surprised to see one with lugs like that, though....

It's probably one of the German ones. They made motorcycles and bikes. Hercules of England always used a cottered crankset. It looks like there's a name on the bottom of the head badge I can't make it out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_(motorcycle)

Back