Interesting free bike find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well this was unexpected. I responded to this ad thinking it was a Wal-goose.

IMG_5250.jpg

My intention was to rob the rear wheel to use on the Beachcomber, which has been sidelined due to an unfortunate hub shell implosion. But upon closer inspection, this is a pretty interesting specimen of early mountain bikes. Matching up the decal design from what I have been able to find on the interwebs, I am thinking this is a 1987 model.

IMG_5231.JPG

SR elliptical chainrings:

IMG_5232.JPG

Deore derailleurs:

IMG_5233.JPG

SR rear hub (this wheel is in fact going to the Beachcomber):

IMG_5234.JPG

Unique stem with integrated stop for the front brake cable:

IMG_5239.JPG
IMG_5240.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG

Shimano brakes:

IMG_5237.JPG

And check out the rear U-brake with the derailleur cable running THROUGH the mounting boss:

IMG_5244.JPG
IMG_5245.JPG

I don't feel terrible robbing the rear wheel, because the front is a mismatch off a Schwinn:

IMG_5236.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG

I am thinking that if this cleans up okay, it might be a worthy recipient of the wheels with Phil Wood hubs I picked up last year at a swap:

IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG

Lucky. Perfect parts bike! Too bad it didn’t come with the pro class wheelset.
What was the pro class wheelset? I just noticed now that the rear hoop is Araya, which is a nice surprise. If it still had the matching front, I'd be thrilled.
IMG_5251.JPG

I recently came across a similar bike. Had a cool mongoose BMX Headbadge. It was hard not to buy this. View attachment 252899View attachment 252900

Oooooh, that stem! And the Bear Trap pedals! And that rear wheel is apparently the Pro Class wheel that Chuy mentioned above. Apparently, though, this one also is missing the original front wheel.

From the eleven minutes of Google research I did on this earlier today, it looks like that one is older than the one I found. Comparing the stem and brakes to online catalog pics, maybe 1985?

Latest posts

Back