Inovations threaten the local bike shop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local mobile bike shop; convenient and professional, but most importantly, a great guy with an innovative niche in a market w/little or no competition! Todd is an excellent wrench - I've commissioned many a custom project from him and sought his technical advice on others.

A business model that plays conservatively w/o the benefit of market foresight gets moved aside; applied Darwinian Economics if you will.

https://www.facebook.com/cowbellbike/

Threatening in theory. Mobile bike techs have been around for a bit though. Walmart is probably the biggest threat honestly.

I took it a step further and have done a few "to your door" bicycle repairs on my bicycle. I've even delivered bicycle purchases. I've also done my pool cleaning route on my bike, which there is a thread on it in this section. I'm always trying to prove to people that you can do it all on a bike. Fighting the "I can't buy a TV on a bike" attitude is an everyday struggle.

Here's some pics. One is of my repair setup complete with a canopy, fan and chair! The other two are some bikes I've delivered.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    486.1 KB · Views: 107
Interesting read. I can see the mobile mechanic taking off in more densely populated areas. I have a few friends that have tried it in my area, and the work is inconsistent. Working in a shop myself though, I can attest to the fact that bike sales are flat, and online ordering is a huge piece of the pie.

I don't think walmart is as big of a threat as Amazon and bikes direct type sites. (bike sales wise) Repairs are a different ballpark

Back