Information on running wide tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find out any information you guys have about running wide tires - 3" ones, as an example, and what problems you run into doing that or what issues you have to deal with.

It appears most everyone runs a 24" wide tire in the back and maybe a similar one in the front - or a smaller 26" in the front. Is that just due to clearance problems with trying to run a wide 26" in the back or front? Or are the 26" wide tires just too hard to find or too expensive?

Also, can you run a 3" tire on a regular width cruiser rim? Or do you need to run a wider rim to go with the wider tire?

Last thing. Do you run into any chain clearance issues or even axle width issues once you get to a certain width tire and/or tire and rim?

Any information anyone can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 26 x 3" that I will use someday. Every stock rear triangle I've tried will not work except my Trials bike.
The 3" is not only wider but taller as well coming in at almost 27" in my case on a stock width rim.
It will work on a stock rim but I did have it pop off after the first mount/air up for some reason while sitting there.
Maybe I aired it up too much??

Maybe a wide rim (2.5 or 3") would help lower the overall height area since it would flatted the tire out some??
It will look better in my opinion on a wider rim at least.
I didn't have any chain clearance issues on the Trials bike BUT it was made for a 2.5" rear already.
Sorry, no pics, didn't really think about that at the time.

The bikes I have tested it in all have chain and seat stays that taper way in which is where most of the issues are.
That or the location of the kickstand mount/tab comes into play.

I followed a thread somewhere that went through widening the stays up front by clamping them down at the axle mount and jacking or prying them apart but I haven't tried it on anything myself.

Just my experience...
-Stephen

you can run the 3" tires on most cruiser rims.

Check these threads for more info
viewtopic.php?t=925
viewtopic.php?t=1140

Many more questions can be answered by using the How to Manual that is stickied at the top of the how to section.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2599

Thanks Stephen and Clancy.

I knew a bunch of people probably played around with the wider tires so it's best to get their experiences before hand rather than running into the same issues later.

I will check out those other threads too.

be very aware that not all 24x3 tires are of the same width. some like the felt thick bricks are very wide even when mounted on a narrow rim. where as the electra fattio, and nirve ...... are much more narrow at least where they pass through the frame. also as i mentioned before by mounting it on a more narrow rim you will make it more narrow and taller where as a wide rim would make the tire thicker and shorter in over all hight. other than that yea on some setups i have had chain clearance issues which requiered using a few spacers and redishing the rear hub a touch.

I'm running the kenda 26x3 on a set of 144's and i havn't had any problems. I did have the same tire on a stock cruiser wheel and it kept poping the bead. Heres pictures of my bike with both wheels. I have no clearance problems or chain rubbing problems. The bike is a late 70s Schwinn cruiser and I didn't have to do any streching of the rear triangle.

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0081.jpg

DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

Rick, the bike looks good with those tires on there and they do have plenty of room.

Thanks for passing along the information.

Stephen, thanks for the information.

From the feedback it sounds like you can run 2.5" or 3" on most bikes without too much problem.

i will say the 26x3 will fit in most fat tire schwinn frames but a lot of it depends on how true the wheel is. it will still be very close to the chain stays so a little truing of the wheel once installed may be needed.

Another option along the lines of what stephen suggested is the Maxxis Holy Rollers in 2.4" width, I really like these on cruisers, the schwinn repop below is narrow at the seat stays and teh front fork is narrow. This is about the max size I could use and still give it a meaty look.

IMG_0428.jpg

there are a few other cool 26 inch tires the maxxis hookworm is a bit wider than the holly roller. but i like the tread better on the rollers as well. also if you can find a set the ritchy mobybite slicks are hard to beat. oh yea and the new schwable fat franks are nice too and they come in white as well.

Karfer, yes, the Holy Rollers are nice, i've got one on the front of my dirtjumper. I was going to get one for my cruiser but went for the bigger, smooth running Hookworm - having ridden both I really love the Hookworm.

Back