In the right place at the right time. Dudley swap meet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I arrived at the Dudley Swap meet last Sunday two hours late. Show started at seven. I was bummed out cause I had a lot of bikes to sell. But to my surprise the place was jumping and people were eager to buy. Because I was late in arriving I stayed later than most of the other vendors. Finally around 3pm I started loading out. As I was loading my last bike and talking to a friend a 71 year old local man can up to us and asked us if we knew anything about old bikes. We told him we knew a little and he proceeded to take a freshly printed 8x10 glossy photo out of his jacket pocket. The photo turned out to be of a almost all original 1950 Schwinn Black Phantom!!!! Which he had owned for 61 years and received as a Christmas present in 1950. He said he would like to sell it, I made him an offer he accepted, got into our vehicles and headed to his lake shore home 2 miles away. What are the odds or coming across an original Phantom and the original owner? If I had arrived at the show early I would have left early and missed out on this killer find. The bicycle gods were smiling upon me!

MykesBykes171.jpg

it would be cool if he had a picture of him with the bike 61 years ago and made a copy of the picture to give to you so you could keep the bike in memory of him. great story im happy for you hope you keep it for 61 years :D

OVER THE TOP COOL! Wish things turned out for me like that when I arrive late!

Super find.
Great to buy it from the original owner. Gives it that special provenance.

So what kind of offer did you have to make on this bike?

It seems like you either run into two different scenarios....the guy knows what it's worth and wants that or they have no clue about vintage bike values and you end up getting it for a song.

$600 was a pretty good deal on that bike I would have gave that in a heart. Beat.

I'd say $600 was a deal. You saved enough that you can now pop for a pair of original AS pedals, or a pair made in '95 for the anniversary Phantom. You should be able to get a repop lens from Memory Lane also for pretty cheap. Gary

Back