In college and NOT riding a fixie.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I've been following the site for about six months now and I decided to join up. I think I first discovered the site when I was trying to find information on a 1977 Peugeot U08 that I had bought and worked on. I had it for about six months before it got stolen off my college campus. The same week my girlfriend's 1976 Schwinn Collegiate (serial CM532613) that we had restored got stolen from her campus. I found my girlfriend a 70s Motobecane to replace/outrun her Schwinn, and I put together a parts 1975 Schwinn-based single speed for myself about the time I really started following this site.

On my University campus (and I'm sure most of the other ones too) all I see are Wal-Mart bikes and $500+ fixed gear bikes. They all look the same.. I wanted to have something different to ride to class, so I found an early 60s Monark in rough shape and turned it into something simple but inspired by what I'd seen on this site. I've worked on my cars and motorcycle since high school, and I extremely enjoyed building the Monark. I have about 15 bikes in various stages of completion now, but these are what started it for me. I'm happy to join the community and I'm looking forward to finding more projects to work on :D -Justin

I was lucky enough to find the Peugeot in nearly perfect condition. It was probably the smoothest riding bike I've ever ridden.
peugeot.jpg

The Schwinn which has since been sold.
copper.jpg

This is what the Monark started out as, laying amongst stuff in a yard in Arkansas.
monark-blue.jpg

I stripped it down and did flat black with flat clear. I found old Wald 315 handlebars in the same yard and put them on. I also got a NOS seat and new tubes. It has the Peugeot beat in at least one respect.. it can stop in the rain! :lol:
monark-garage.jpg

I found stickers on the bike that had it licensed in Lincoln, Nebraska from 1965-68, so I found a vintage Columbia, MO license plate and added it. I also kept the old cracked tires to add to the rat look. When they go out I want to pick up some Jerald whitewalls :)
monark-plate.jpg

That's the spirit. I just graduated college.. wish I had more than a semester of bringing bikes to campus but I got into the hobby too late.

Here are the two I found myself usually choosing between; my '63 Kickback Racer and my Sears Tote-Cycle. The Tote now sports a matching orange milk crate bungied to the carrier and the correct chainguard thanks to a member here.

DSCF3272.jpg

DSCF3298.jpg

Back