Impulse buy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jude-4.jpg
Jude-3.jpg
Jude-5.jpg
Jude-6.jpg
Jude-7.jpg
Jude-9.jpg
Jude-8.jpg

Paid $100 for this ~97 Schwinn, prolly a Frontier. Seller had it tuned sweet and these photos are his.
I believe the Rolf wheels are from Trek, double spoked and spin nice. Avid 20 V's, crank and FD are LX, RD is XT.
Super light, fork is what it is... lol. Tires too. I had doubts until I took it for a spin!

Is this a hundred dollar bike in your hood?

The Frontier (and the Ranger) were usually the entry level or 1 up from entry level. Your bike is much better.

Yours looks to be a Mesa GS or Mesa GSX. VG condition. Clean. A great score for $100. I sold a steel frame Schwinn Impact yesterday for $100 and I thought that was a low price for it. The buyer knew he was getting a bargain and it was just what he wanted.

The high end Schwinn bikes during the Scott ownership era were the Homegrown bikes. ($2k+)

The Shimano parts have date codes on the back sides. 2 letters for year & month. Look up a few and that will narrow the age down pretty well. The Scott era serial numbers won't decode to years very well as they were mfd all over.

Vintage Trek dot com component dates page has the tables for several brands.

The Judy fork was Rock Shox entry level line for for a few years. Pretty basic model.

Last edited:
View attachment 253793View attachment 253794View attachment 253795View attachment 253796View attachment 253797View attachment 253798View attachment 253799

Paid $100 for this ~97 Schwinn, prolly a Frontier. Seller had it tuned sweet and these photos are his.
I believe the Rolf wheels are from Trek, double spoked and spin nice. Avid 20 V's, crank and FD are LX, RD is XT.
Super light, fork is what it is... lol. Tires too. I had doubts until I took it for a spin!

Is this a hundred dollar bike in your hood?
Surprisingly in my hood it would be to much works out great for me though

The frame seems well made. Is this bike worth upgrading the fork? I'm thinking winter bike, backup bike now that Dirty Harry's being ridden by my bro!
Oh no I think you did awesome for 100 bucks nothing in our market sells we pick up cinder cones for 50 bucks. Be an awesome winter bike ever year a sacrifice one

I think Rick is correct--apart from paint, graphics and Rock Shox Jett, it looks a lot like my Mesa GSX. Definitely my kind of everyday rider. In the DC Metro area, I paid $50 for mine in 2015...then sold off $30 worth of unneeded accessories. That was a pretty good score.

$400 plus (conservative) easy to the right person over here but you could wait awhile before it sold to the right person, as I've said before somewhere, there is a massive uptake in anything LX/XT up for grabs especially if your in the restorative ATB/MTB genre, I would pay a hundy just for the RD FD shifters and brakes but of cause location is dependent, $100=top score in my book

I too am in agreement. The bike looks like lots of fun and if you start pricing some of the parts individually, it will quickly surpass what you paid for it. Some of the parts may be a bit dated compared to today's stuff but so is a '62 Corvette. Look, if the purchase is going to keep you second guessing yourself, I've got a "C note" burning a hole in my pocket if it helps you sleep at nite.......:)

Latest posts

Back