Imperial!?!?!?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up, next to nothing. I liked the chainring so much that I would have paid 5X what I did! For some reason there is a ton of clearance between the tires and fenders. Yeah I know the tires are shot, lol! But still, it seems like the 26" wheels are too small. Does anybody know anything about this bike, maybe around the year, what size wheels it should have, is it a triumph, is it rare?
210f0f77.jpg

dfe6925d.jpg

7d2742c9.jpg

I would think it'd have big balloon tires to fill in the gap but looking closer I don't know. Cool bike though.

I'd be willing to bet it came with 28"wheels with balloon tires.

since they can be difficult to locate at most lbs, the former owner probably switched them out to an easier to find size.
i'm guessng 1920's-30's? (pre war based on the drop outs) it is a skiptooth right?

hey john

check out my old american made bike.
It sports the same 28" rims your bike should have, and you can read about all the 28" tries i purchased that didn't fit the rims. :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29282
IMG_0157.jpg

Way cool chain guard. I too would have bought it just for that.
Imperial? Is it Canadian maybe? I see old Canadian/Brit bikes on 28" wheels on ebay from time to time.
Another nice score!
Jeff

I'm thinkin american, but imperial is a very popular name when it comes to bicycles.

Imperial-(M) The American Bicycle Company, Cleveland Sales Department, Chicago IL, 1901

Imperial-(M) The American Bicycle Company, Eastern Sales Department, Chicago IL, 1902

I'd say on the letter "p" alone (not to mention the rest of the text), that we have a winner

1897_imperial_bicycle_advertising_poster-p228054550869945907tdcp_400.jpg

look at the letter "p" on your headbadge and the ad.

they extend unusually high for a letter "p", same "e","r", and even the "I" is very similar.

I'd say its fair to asume its an ames & frost chicago built bike.

7d2742c9.jpg

It's darn near identical text.

icyuod2 said:
look at the letter "p" on your headbadge and the ad.

they extend unusually high for a letter "p", same "e","r", and even the "I" is very similar.

I'd say its fair to asume its an ames & frost chicago built bike.

7d2742c9.jpg

It's darn near identical text.
Gotcha! You're right it is ! Thanks for lookin into it.

John

Might be interested in the wheelset and bars if you part it out.

Joe

The bike is a Westfield built bike probably dating to about 1933-1935. The Ames and Frost Imperial brand was one that was absorbed into the conglomerate that became Westfield and the name was used as a sub-brand of Westfield off and on over the years.

The serial number on the bottom of the crank hanger likely begins with a letter which will define the year the bike was produced.

Regarding the size of the original wheels, it is likely that the wheels on the bike are original. The earliest Westfield balloon equipped bicycles fit wheels in frames that were designed for either 28" single tube tires or 26" balloon tires and the earliest of these still used 28” fenders. As the 26 ” wheels became more popular tighter radius fenders were developed and fitted to the frames with spacers fit between the rear fender bridges and the fenders to take up the extra space.

rms37 said:
The bike is a Westfield built bike probably dating to about 1933-1935. The Ames and Frost Imperial brand was one that was absorbed into the conglomerate that became Westfield and the name was used as a sub-brand of Westfield off and on over the years.

The serial number on the bottom of the crank hanger likely begins with a letter which will define the year the bike was produced.

Regarding the size of the original wheels, it is likely that the wheels on the bike are original. The earliest Westfield balloon equipped bicycles fit wheels in frames that were designed for either 28" single tube tires or 26" balloon tires and the earliest of these still used 28” fenders. As the 26 ” wheels became more popular tighter radius fenders were developed and fitted to the frames with spacers fit between the rear fender bridges and the fenders to take up the extra space.
Awesome info, thanks a ton. Is this bike worth anything to anybody? I have mote girl bikes than I know what todowith! All I want is the sprocket!

Back