I'm the new guy...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guys I'm new here....I've always been into old prewar -1950's balloon tire bikes, and I'm working on a few projects. One is any old Murray, and the other is a late 50's Schwinn 26" girls bike that I'll be restoring for my wife. THis site is real swell!!

here is the murray....I like the bent forks but not the quality of them. I'm going to put a Schwinn phaton horn tank on it with matching chain guard, fenders, front and rear drum brakes, skip tooth crank, I'm not sure what colors yet.....
JoeH.jpg

thanks guys....the 72 spoke rims and chrome fenders are both going for vintage replacements. As will the seat. what I really want to do is get those reproduction Schwinn springer forks, and have them bent how these are, but I'm not sure what all has to be done......

Soloace, do you still have plans for putting a motor on this one? Great looking bike...Kelly

Cool bike, the bent springer gives it a nice stretched out look without being too extreme.

What sort of bars are those? They look to be a lot more swept back than others I've seen.

I agree on swapping out the seat, the current one is a little too contemporary for the look. The 72 spoke wheels look right (to me) with the bent springer

Welcome aboard

-Mp

*disclaimer* the opinions expressed in the above post are only my 2 cents and can be ignored as needed

the seat is going for a vintage seat that will be covered in a tuck n roll leather. The Bars came with the bike. I like pointing them down, or upside down to give the bike a better flow. I think I'm going to go with one front drum brake, and a rear 3 or 5 speed inturnal hub. I really want to put the seat back by the frame, and rear fender...
Multipass said:
Cool bike, the bent springer gives it a nice stretched out look without being too extreme.

What sort of bars are those? They look to be a lot more swept back than others I've seen.

I agree on swapping out the seat, the current one is a little too contemporary for the look. The 72 spoke wheels look right (to me) with the bent springer

Welcome aboard

-Mp

*disclaimer* the opinions expressed in the above post are only my 2 cents and can be ignored as needed

The sweep of the bars definately helps the bike flow. On my own bike, I've used a 10-speed stem with a longer reach than the stock Schwinn stem for the very same reason.

-Mp

Dharma how did that turn out? and can you tell me how you did the combo?
new_dharma said:
soloace said:
what I really want to do is get those reproduction Schwinn springer forks, and have them bent how these are, but I'm not sure what all has to be done......

I used a combo of the 2...Schwinn reproduction for all except for the massive bend...for that I used a lowrider fork.

Nice bikes!

soloace said:
Dharma how did that turn out? and can you tell me how you did the combo?
new_dharma said:
soloace said:
what I really want to do is get those reproduction Schwinn springer forks, and have them bent how these are, but I'm not sure what all has to be done......

I used a combo of the 2...Schwinn reproduction for all except for the massive bend...for that I used a lowrider fork.

I just swapped the parts (bent part of fork) onto the reproduction Schwinn Springer. I only did that because I wanted the lowrider fork, but everyone I talked to said the bushings and spring on the [whatever brand...can't remember] springer wear out quick...the Schwinn didn't..

anyway, there's the pictures...i get long "winded" when talking bikes...i'll stop for now.

well if you look at the forks on your bike in the second pic, and the forks on mine. The bend starts further down the fork on mine than yours, and I like how the bend is on my forks. and not how the new bent forks look. what I was thinking about was to buy the $200 Schwinn repros and having someone done the bend on them for me. I know I'm gonna have to length the fork to get the bend I want, I just don't know anyone willing to do this for me.....

Back