I'm starting to love the flea-market

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what I got for 15 euros:

dsc01622xh0.jpg

It's a girls Dunelt English Bike. The rims are stamped Dunlop, and it's got non standard 20 inch wheels and twin top tubes. I bought it for the coaster brake (rare here) but didn't have the courage to cut it out, since the bicycle is so cute, and would become useless without it. Later I found out the hub is a 40-spoke, wich is good for nothing.

After I left it in the car, I returned to the flea-market and found an old guy selling some weird bicycle parts.

-"Say, these parts are weird."
-"These are quality parts, I brought them all from Germany."
-"You wouldn't happen to have those rear hubs that brake magically when you pedal backwards, would you?"
-"Yes I have those, 20 euros each."
YES!!!! I thought to myself.
-"And... you wouldn't happen to have those hubs but also with gears?..."
-"Yes, I have those."
DOUBLE YES!!!

I went to the guys house today and he has a couple of coaster brake hubs (Shimano/ Sachs Torpedo Jet) and 2 Sachs 3 gear/ coaster hubs. He also had a Sachs 2-speed kickback hub but it was a 28 spoke, not much use for it. This is exciting for me because I had never seen this kind of stuff in real life and now I've found a guy that has a bunch of them! And coaster brakes are essencial to rat bikes 'cause you can paint the rims! 8)

-"How much for the 3-gear hub? (pleasepleaseplease not more than 50 euros!!!)"
-"25 euros, 5 more for the cable, little chain, little pulley and shifter."
-"(trying to sound distant and unafected) Yeah, I'll have to think about it. I'll come back in a couple of days." :mrgreen:

dsc01621gj3.jpg

I can buy these german parts with confidence, right? Is there anything I should look out for?

Oh, and just after I talked to this hub guy at the market, another guy aproached me and said:
-"Are you interested in coaster brakes? I have an old german bicycle with one of those."

So another little road trip later, I saw this:

dsc01603we7.jpg

It's nothing much but I kind of like it. It's unusual in my neck of the woods. A bit rusty, but very original. Headtube is stamped "72", Sachs coaster brake, Weinmann front brake, Union lights, Continental tires, nice lugs... I think it's worth the 50 euros. Can I get an authorization to rat it from one of you german people? It's not valuable, right?

Yup, I'm starting to love the flea-market. Search and you will find.

Hugo

Exactly, Where yall think i got my old schwinns? THE FLEA MARKET! And a garage sale. Search AND YOU WILLLL! Find. 8)

the sachs torpedo 515 is very cool! is has kinda freewheel-gear between the 2nd and 3rd gear! here in germany you can find these hubs in old bikes in the trash...so i would personally would only pay up to 20€ for a used one.
...but i even found a good one in barn at home :D

just to clear things out, 50 euros is rather 75 bucks.
1.5$ = 1€ these days
which by the way makes me look forward to my next trip to the US with razor sharp teeth :mrgreen:
u'd better keep me off your flea markets and garage sales !!!! eheheheheh

The shipping to get all your new finds home from here will kill you though!..LOL Congrats on the cool finds.

Aaron

50 euros=68 dollars :oops:

locojoe, thanks for the heads up. I guess you can lace a 40 hole hub to a 36 hole rim. But I'm putting the little girls bike up for sale to finance the german get-around bike. It's too cute to cut up. What can you do with a 28 hole hub if you don't have a 28 hole rim?

Nickname, you find those hubs in the trash? I'm so JEALOUS!!! They're preety robust, right? Anything I should look out for? Any thoughts on that german mens bike I showed?

Hugo

martin said:
just to clear things out, 50 euros is rather 75 bucks.
1.5$ = 1€ these days
which by the way makes me look forward to my next trip to the US with razor sharp teeth :mrgreen:
u'd better keep me off your flea markets and garage sales !!!! eheheheheh
1€= 1.3667$
...you can search in google "X € to $" or "X $ to €"

yeah I know my conversion was kinda faulty, but well, the point was just in showing that it was the other way around and that 50€ couldn't make 35 bucks.
Anyway, I'm so jealous about those hubs found in portugal !!

:x

martin said:
Anyway, I'm so jealous about those hubs found in portugal !!

:x

I only found them because this old guy decided to bring them from Germany, because he likes the local bikes or whatever.

Martin, you're closer to Germany, just cross one border. Acording to nickname, all you have to do is search the rubbish! :lol:

Hugo

right, every month we have "sperrmüll" in every county (i think). then everybody puts his rubbish that doesn´t fit into the garbage can at the side of the street and the garbage collection (and mostly Polishs :) ) come and take it. in the "sperrmüll" you can find old (dutch) bicycles which often have still working sachs hubs (most sachs hubs have a very good quality). you just have to polish them with a wire brush and it looks almost new.

Well that sounds real good, nickname...
if you ever happen to find one with three speed and 36 holes... and are wanting to send it my way... shipping costs to France shouldn't be too high. Let me know if you want to arrange a deal :wink:
ehehehehehe
As for here, in France, the most interesting thing you can easily find are saddles. Good vintage leather saddles. I found one for 9€ that really looks a lot like an old smaller Brooks. The brand is "UNIC" and it really feels like from the 50s or so.
I'll try and post pics of it... you can regularly find some of them on the french ebay.

Theres a french ebay?

dsc01634qh5.jpg

MINE! This will last me for a few projects... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe there should be a classifieds section for Europe. If nickname can get hubs and martin can get saddles, then we're in business! :p

Hugo

Back