I'm packing it in (or how to cut your bike in half)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I'm packing it in. I have been wanting to do this for three years now and KOTA has set me in motion.
I was following a build from KOTA and saw he stole the chain guide from me and I gave some free advice about remote steerage (which he said thanks) and did some cool thing with chain rings instead of my advise. His bike was a long one like my Tour Master and found the only way to transport it was by trailer. He's going to bring it to Ayer on September 17th. I thought I'd bring my Tour Master but I don't have a trailer to bring the bike off Cape.
KOTA and I go back a long ways.....what, maybe two years or more.... and we did go to different schools together, so I take advise from him anyways and his answer to my long bike was to hacksaw it in half to get it in my wifes car. I think he even offered the hacksaw. Seeing I love him like a brother that I used to beat up I took his advice.

So I cut the puppy in half
TM-001.jpg

I made some plates and got a mess of bolts to put it back together again..........
TM-002.jpg

..........so I could take it apart and pack it in my wifes car :wink:
TM-003.jpg

I'll take more pictures of it in Ayer and post them.

Graylock

Re: I'm packing it in..........

Had a good time at the HPVF event in Ayer yesterday. The break down frame worked well. You have to be willing to take 10 minutes to set it up while taking another 10 minutes to answer questions while you put the bike together. I thought that the frame might have got to likin' to be bolted together but with a little urge it slipped appart at the end of the day. Maybe a little grease before assembling but my wife would have had a cow :| . I pack a pare of thin gloves to bolt the bike together because the grease always finds me.

Ayer HPVF 2011. My wife would have got out of the car to take this picture but it wasn't a Mall parking lot so she snapped this photo out the window. She's such a sport.
HPVF2011-01.jpg

Graylock

Our MOTHER had "a" set of twins, 10 months apart...She used to say: "Don't spend an hour everyday doing your hair, like your older little brother". Then she went on to say: "Everytime your older little brother comes up with a GOOD idea....STEAL it! When you get a stupid idea, MAKE him do it first"!........I should be cutting my bike in two, this winter....After all it was MY idea.

KOTA said:
Our MOTHER had "a" set of twins, 10 months apart...She used to say: "Don't spend an hour everyday doing your hair, like your older little brother". Then she went on to say: "Everytime your older little brother comes up with a GOOD idea....STEAL it! When you get a stupid idea, MAKE him do it first"!........I should be cutting my bike in two, this winter....After all it was MY idea.
Mom always liked you best.

The twin with the hair :(

Everyone says hinges but no one agrees that the bike will fold neatly or in an uneven awkward lump. I thought of it but didn't want to bother with the engineering of it. It's much to simple just to stack the two halves. Fits my needs. I do have another AZ build called the Meridian and with a single square tube should fold nicely. I once drew the Meridian to scale on paper and cut it up to fit inside a Altoids tin (yes the Altoid was part of the scale) to see if I could pack it up to fly on a plane. I just have to be willing to give up the hinge parts if I need to make it fit. The other thing about folding long recumbent bikes is chain management. There's to much chain to deal with and chain can't take folding sideways so in my case, by laying it on its left side, there was enough play in the chain to fold it like a knife but set one half on top of the other. I have done this several times and only missmanaged the chain once. I was to careless with the fold. Still It's worth it to me and I would be willing to try it on some other long bikes of mine. I think I'll try to fit one of my tall bikes in a fly rod case :shock:

Graylock :wink:

Back