I'm Back with a Schwinn...I think

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told it was a 1959 or 1960 Schwinn...Maybe you guys know...I got the frame and forks for free...that back forks were bent and the fender support had broken loose...
but with a few jumps on the frame and a new tack weld....I got it back together....I had all the other parts laying around...

Can anyone confirm the year on this one?....It's funny cause there is a bolt at the top of the back forks that goes on the way through the seat post...and the seat post has about 4 holes so the seat can sit at different heights...?

DSC02758.jpg

DSC02759.jpg

Has anyone encountered this before....I'm not a Schwinn guy....

whats the serial # looks like my schwinn tornado donor im using for the buildoff (its a 1960). the white striping is different from what im used to but i believe the earlier ones had that style striping on them, i know some flying stars used the same frame, maybe a streamliner too.

That appears to be a Tornado of the late 50's or very early 60 model years.
Wouldn't be a Streamliner as they have a cantilever frame ('61), and the earlier Streamliners were ballooners..

I have an April of '61 Tornado that appears to have been repainted, but it pretty much just like that one. I had another one a while back that was a July of '60 model, but had rear stays that had split at the seat tube from having water frozen in them, appartently someone left the frame upside down in some weather we don't have in Florida at some point in the bike's life! The '60 was striped the same as yours. Serial # is on the left dropout.... What is it?

The '61 is on the stand right now, but will get butted soon for another one I'm going to be getting to finish while I am off next week.... YES!!!!!!

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

It might also be a skipper, but the striping is different than any Schwinn I've seen. It might have been added, but it sure looks like it came that way. The bolt through the frame and seat stem with holes may be a custom modification someone did.

The serial number will probably be on the left rear dropout where the wheel bolts up. Post it here and we can tell you right away what year it is.

Nice bike.

Thanks for your help guys...The fronts drop outs didn't have it but the left rear had a serial number.................F021845...

Forgot about the mention of the odd seat post. It should have a clamp and a normal post. I think someone must have rigged it at some point. Could postulate that the clamp bolt broke or something equally wierd.

I thought it looked the same as the '60 I had. My s/n was G020977, a July model. The '61 is D121683, one day before my wife's birthday that year.. Won't say what year though! (She's a good one!)

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

That is awesome thanks you guys.... I think I'll still tell people it's a 59...........ha
Thanks for looking that up for me Sensor...

I just picked up a 12/4/58 Tornado (M818811) this weekend, and a 20" I havent age ID yet (the #s are under the sissybar, and haven't had time to pull it). The Tornado's are a pretty cool frame. I think mine was origionally red too, but I can't tell for sure what the striping looks like due to the cr@ppy red, white & blue camo paint job but it looks to be like Ricks. (very nice bike by the way) Mine also has a feather chainguard??? Not sure if that's origional, anyone know? Or should it be like the one on Ricks and the 20"?
IMG_2092.jpg

I was just going to ask that....Rick is your Tornado a 20" or a 24"?
Either way thanks for the photos...

As for your bike 10~18....I'm not sure what chain guard was OG either but I knew I wanted to get one like the one you have ( Feather ) huh...

looks to be - i had a 59 that came off of edwards airforce base, it was a 26"

DSC_0002.jpg

it belongs to someone else now, and is a motorized bicycle... the only schwinn ive ever/will have/had

WOW! For $8.00 you could get a tank-horn, rear carrier, strut and headlight. Probably couldn't even get the screws for the tank for that now. Cool ad...thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back