If you could choose...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
original paint would have more character!

I concur....repaints make me want to scratch them, as no doubt I will.
Original paint with years of service only adds to the value in my opinion. I do like trying to bring back the OG vibrant colors too.

It's a case by case decision... Really depends on the bike.

That being said, I have painted bikes with patina, that everyone said not to.o_O

oct.

When I get a bike frame the color or theme pops in my head of what I want so I like painting my bikes. But when I see a bike with patina it has so much character. I chose patina...

Then I ride them and people are like when you gonna paint it , and I'm like "What"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9cb8786238b75ad60e37e2a7e33fe0c3.jpg

Ok, so we all know that awesome patina is just that... but how often is it really? o_O Now, picture the baddest custom bike or automotive for that matter, paint job. I'm talkin' airbrushed beauty, my friend. The deepest, richest color, dimensional thickness, smooth as glass. As stated, on the bike of your choice... WOW!

Carl.

That's the other patina I was inferring, everybody wants to think it looks good, but it's really just a :eek: jacked up finish...

Carl.

Most of the time I'd go with original paint, but not because of collectability or character.
I live in Chicago, and work downtown, so a bike looking like a pile of scratched up crap, but still kind of cool, is a security measure.

If I lived out in the suburbs I'd probably go with nice paint.

Most of the time I'd go with original paint, but not because of collectability or character.
I live in Chicago, and work downtown, so a bike looking like a pile of scratched up crap, but still kind of cool, is a security measure...

Gotta kid going to college next year... been thinkin' along the same lines for her bike. Camouflaging a lightweight under some :eek: faux crust and raggedy grip tape, torn seat, and miss matched bits... but underneath it a reliable rider, light enough to haul up and down steps...;)

Carl.

Good question...personally, I like the old, but
there are exceptions...Now here is what I believe
is a hard-fought long in coming "patina" below on
a recent build-circa 1947 frame..
47134f5b-0a52-42d0-a732-9eb021e1f598_zps5f9a1780.jpg

Love both but I prefer og patina, maybe just because finding non painted bikes has always been a challenge for me around these parts.

Back