Ideas for my ride?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
What's funny to me is that I found this forum while looking for a cruiser for my son. Now I can't stop thinking about upgrading the wife's cruiser, and doing something awesome with mine! But what to do with mine, I'm not sure. First, I'm a fan of tanks, so I'd want to find or have a tank scratch built. Second, my seat is torn on the left side, so I think I want to replace it with a brown or black leather saddle. Next I was thinking about going with full fenders, ones that went completely around the wheel. Lastly, I was toying with the idea of putting moon disks on it, since it's a MoonEyes bike, but the moon disks are $300, and I can't stomach paying that.
One thing I really don't like is the look of the seat post. I'm tall, and with the post that high it just looks thin and weak. Any idea with what I could do with that?

Lastly, this bike has been sitting for years, as you can tell by the dirt. I'm assuming the rims are chro-mo? What would polish them up really well?

mooncruise.jpg

are the wheels 26"?

try chopperus. i got plastic discs from them a while back. they may still sell them. they're black, so you'd have to experiment with painting them silver. they were only about $30 though. if your wheels are 24" there's a place in europe that had both sizes, but the shipping added quite a bit to the price.

i have another set and have been thinking about the how to make them look like brushed aluminum, but i don't have a project for them yet to actually try it. like maybe putting them on an old wheel and spray painting while they're spinning, and simultaneously dragging a dry brush over them as the wheel turns.

This tank is a brand new Kustom Kruiser Tank that fits the Dynos perfectly - same guy. They were $20 on ebay plus shipping but don't work with a triple tree fork like mine. These are not metal but like a very flexible plastic or something. You can have this one for $15 Plus Shipping. If you are interested send me a PM with your Zipcode and I'll get you a Shipping Estimate. Thanks alot. Robert

For a seatpost idea, take a look at the thread 'Old Sears Cruiser' in the Builds section.....he made a sturdy layback seatpost using plumbers pipe and elbow.

Would I get tied up and beat if I stripped this bike and rebuilt it? I saw a build using the Dyno frame, and it came out great. The problem I'd still have with it is that the frame is pretty small for me.

But if the 'Mooneyes' is desirable and rare, it might be better to sell it and start with something else? That will jsut cost me more.

hmmmmmm

Cut the crap out of it, mike! Well at least do what you like to it. Albeit a pretty limited bike, this is what personalization is all about. I've got a local friend with an old Hawthorne that we are considering stretching out...just because we can, and it's no something you see every day...

I think part of the problem with the look of the seatpost is these pillowy saddles look better closer down even slammed on the bike. When they're up in the air like that they make the post look undersized like a sofa on stilts(though GT did use a narrow post). Maybe try a Brooks springer(or Gye imitation http://www.crowcycleco.com/gyes/gyes-leather-bike-saddle-compare-brooks-b68-black.html) or mtb saddle, but drop the fenders and chainguard to unclutter the look. I'd paint it, don't think the Dynos are especially rare or anything.

EDIT: I have a Brooks on ny BO7 Dyno, I'll take pic with it up in the air for comparison.

It's your bike but if it was mine an I wanted to stretch it I wouldn't care if it was the last 1 on earth what I'm sayn brother is make that bike yours you earned that when you paid your hard earned money for it

CRASH said:
Thanks Jack, I'd like to see that.

I'm wondering how a laid back post would look/feel on the bike?

I think I put it up even more than yours but without a kickstand I couldn't get a similar pic angle, should've taken against the garage. Seems like alot of guys have bending issues with the laybacks if they're too angled. Some of the shallower or gusseted ones would probably work.

0c7857a7.jpg

A suggestion has been a banana seat, but I'm not into that look. And a brace without a banana seat will look weird. I'm sure an engineering genius could come up with a cool solution, but that definately isn't me. :oops:

I think some guys have had luck tack welding a metal rod (5/8" maybe) inside the the post as they usually bend right at the seatpost clamp.

socal_jack said:
By the way... this picture has been very helpful. I guess my ape hangers really throw off my ability to "see" my bike any other way. I guess this is a dumb question, but how do you guys "shop" for different bars without having to buy a truck load of handlebars? :?

Back