Idea For An Entrepeneur

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't think I spelled it right so I must not be one. :(

I hear no locked bike is safe due to battery powered angle grinders and metal cut-off wheels.

So, let's talk chainsaws for a minute. Hitting your leg with a chainsaw would be real bad. They make safety chaps that are filled with some kind of stringy fiberglas stuff that pulls out and jams the chain and keeps your leg from getting cut off if you happen to hit it.

I don't know if the material in the chaps would gum up an angle grinder, that's for the entrepeneur to find out. If you could encase a chain with the stringy fabric stuff and it stops angle grinders you might make a million dollars. :p

So what are you waiting for...this is your big chance! 8) Gary

i live in a small town, and we hardly even lock the house. so, i dont know much about bike theft, but doesnt a grinder make enough noise to draw unwanted attention? perhaps noone cares if they see someone stealing a bike. i dont mean any disrespect to you gary, i seriously am not familiar with the situation.

The fiber (kevlar) covering may work. I could not find much in regards to non-chainsaw protection. The trick would be fastening well enough on the ends of the lock.

Other ideas.

Titanium can be more difficult to cut.
How about aluminum with a steel core? Ever tried cutting aluminum with a grinder?

Some quotes-
-A bike lock is a deterrent to theft, some more so than others, but no bike is ever truly safe when it's locked up on the street.
-The best bike lock is a lock that makes your bike harder to steal than another bike.

Just use a better lock than the bike you are locking it up next to.

The material would definitely be a deterrent, but an angle grinder has a much higher RPM than a chainsaw and also uses a smooth cutting disk as opposed to the chain with teeth that would grab stuff.

I've got one of those heavy square steel link chains with the heavy nylon sleeve over it, if instead of 1 chain inside it had a couple chains and a cable or two, all ad differing tensions, the angle grinder disk could get caught in between them and bust. I've busted plenty of grinder wheels when something I'm cutting shifts, and it's no fun at all getting hit with the broken pieces of wheel flying off from spinning at 10,000rpm.

I have to hijack this thread,thieves really anger me.I've heard of hidden alarms on motorcycles that send a silent alert to a device kept on your person. How about that on a bicycle? You can catch the scum bag cutting off your lock a give him a good pasting with the first heavy object you can grab,preferably braking a hand or disk in his back.

detroiter60 said:
I have to hijack this thread,thieves really anger me.I've heard of hidden alarms on motorcycles that send a silent alert to a device kept on your person. How about that on a bicycle? You can catch the scum bag cutting off your lock a give him a good pasting with the first heavy object you can grab,preferably braking a hand or disk in his back.
Here you go.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105 ... -bikespike

You just need more chain...
peewee-bike.png

Back