I thought I knew what I had....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 1985 my parents bought me a Schwinn Predator for my birthday. A friend of mine from across the street had one and I fell in love with it so when my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I asked for one and they got it for me. I always thought that it was a 1985 model but recently I have been doing some internet searching to find out work and things like that and I am finding that the only bikes that look like mine are 1983/84 models. It is the chromoly with the green/yellow stickers. The forks are oval with flat sides front and back. The bike is pretty much original except for the seat post(45 degree post), seat(original was stolen), and grips. It has the straight bar handlebars. It has been sitting for years but with a little work it can be in great shape. What I was wondering is what is the value of it unrestored and restored? I don't have any pics of it yet and will post some when I do. I also have the original manual that came with it. Thank you in advance for any info you guys can give.

Welcome to the forum! I had one of those too, with the 'space invader' decals! :lol: I took those off quickly, as well as the chainguard, reflectors, etc., as that stuff wasn't "cool" then! :mrgreen: I don't know what they're worth now, ebay might give you a general idea though. -Adam

Thank you. This is a pretty cool forum. I removed the chain guard also but kept the stickers as I thought they were cool. The only ones that I removed are the ones that were on the lower back of the frame by the real axle. The only reason I did that was because I have the platform type of pegs on there and the stickers got all messed up. I even still have the original pads I got for it that are checkered on one side and black on the other. Who knows, I might even still have the chain guard somewhere. I remember it being a clear smoked plastic one.

I think that sort of bike is best with a new look , as apposed to a rat look . The dollars spent on having a part re chromed or re painted are worth while when it is for that special bike . IMO that bike is perfect for someone who may want to cherry it out , or customize it . Stay seated when riding , i learned the very hard way . Happy Trails

If I keep the bike I plan on doing a full restore of it back to how it was when I first got it. I was just wondering what it was worth and get a little info on it. I saw a frame and fork only on ebay with the starting bid of $499.99. I figure a complete bike should worth atleast twice that. If the price is right, I might be willing to part with it so I can pay some bills. I am posting the link below of the ebay listing I found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-1983-SCH ... 6rk%3D1%26

Back