I think this is a Murray but could use help with ID.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The arrow in the pic is showing where the serial number is stamped vertically. The number is j4573129. I think its a Murray but I'm not sure. If someone can help me out with the make and year I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

esmRG.jpg

nMH2n.jpg

9Yth7.jpg

zMdG0.jpg

Looks like it was red originally. Going by the chainring, dropouts, and fork crown, yep it's a Murray. My guess would be mid 60's to mid 70's. Usually the serial is on a dropout, so I can't figure out the serial on the headtube

Definatly a Murray, probably a Monterey and could be early to mid 80's. I have a 86' Murray Monterey with the exact everything as your, down to drop outs, fork crowns and everything else. if those are the stock wheels, that is a Shimano type D coaster brake and that is a mid 70's thru late 80's model. A very good brake I may add and that is a cool bike.

Yes an awesome late 70's or 80's Murray Monterey, West Port and one or two other names & too bad it doesn't have the original stem that night have had the year on it in it's last two numbers but it doesn't.

Maybe the numbers on the Shimano hub might be used to date it, the link below has some details but I'm not sure if it will work or not.
http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

Latest posts

Back